Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal spawn  (Read 2992 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal spawn
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:17:20 am »

Hey.
With the new imporvement in the game challenge of holding lifestock and the added raw material of wool to be gain I decided it's about time I make use of these new pasture zones. However I seem to be missing animals to pasture.

See I had the idea to capture some wild animals (in the caverns) and domesticate them. (making them tameable ofc since dungeon master doesn't work)
However after all this time, wich must be 3 or 3 and a half ingame years, I still haven't found any new animals on my map. The places I have acces to is the second cavern layer, wich up till now had a group of troglodytes, a blind cave ogre and had a gian rat and gian mole spawn at the edge. That and the third where I have a small group of creeping eyes. No new animals have appeared after all this time, barring the giant rat and giant mole.

Don't get me wrong I like giant rats, they are the symbol of my fortress. (shame on me for letting that giant rat die in his cage). But I'd love some more domesticateble animals like giant elk birds and dralthas. This is kind of a problem if I can't find any new creatures spawning on the map ofcourse.

So I was wondering, do new animals only spawn once the previos group has left the map or died? That would explain why no new creatures have appeared since that group of creeping eyes is still around.
Out of curiosity I tested the theory by simply getting a new embark and started slaughtering animals. As soon as the last group of animals was dead immediatly a new one appeared.
So is there any truth to be found in the experiment, or was it just chance?

In any case I'm breaching the first cavern layer soon, once I have my military re organized and re armed. (funny that I should breach the first cavern layer since I'm coming from the third  8)) and hopefully I'll find some wildlife there. I know there's forgotten beasts so I should find some sort of fun atleast.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Animal spawn
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 09:34:07 am »

The number of groups of wild animals which can be on the map at any one time is limited.  A new group of wild animals won't enter the map until a previous group has left, or been killed or captured.  This limit is per layer - the surface creatures and the cavern creatures occupy different spaces, so creatures in the caverns won't prevent creatures from spawning on the surface.  This can sometimes result in a situation where a group of cavern animals are hanging around and refuse to leave, and you won't get any new cavern wildlife till you get rid of them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal spawn
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:15:31 am »

Yes that's exactly what the issue is. I guess I'll need to find some way to get rid of those creeping eyes, wich will be tricky since they are in the middle of the lake. Oh well if marksdwaves fail there's still magma.