Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plant processing granularity + hay  (Read 667 times)

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Plant processing granularity + hay
« on: March 23, 2011, 11:00:44 am »

First part, expand out the milling, brewing, and farmer's workshop tasks so you can choose what to process. Use the same selector style as building stuff (group like items together, e(x)pand out the list for individual items).
This way you can tell it to brew only certain plants in any given run, or only brew the 1-3 size stacks of sweet pods while processing the 4-5 size stacks to syrup and milling your cave wheat without making any sugar or wasting time grinding up dye.

Second part, add process to bag reactions for cave wheat, longland grass, and whip vine, with the end product being a bag of grain, seeds, and a stack of hay. The grain and hay stacks are as big as the processed plant stack. And remove said plants from the mill and brew lists, so they have to be processed to bags first.
From there the grain can be milled or brewed just like the current plants are. The hay is then put into feed boxes (constructed just like nest boxes) for grazer consumption.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Plant processing granularity + hay
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 11:36:25 am »

There's already plans to make grass harvest-able, to make hay bushels.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 11:43:18 am »

Your first part should be covered with:

Workshop Material Use and Specific Object Construction

* Ability to specify material used in jobs
    * Ability to order the construction of a specific item or decoration of item in complete detail

from the Devlog.

Hopefully it includes food/drink items.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 11:57:00 am »

Getting hay from farming would be a really quick way to implement it, saving having to figure out how exactly to make grass harvestable (make it part of the collect plants designation and slow plant gathering to a crawl, or code in a whole new designation for it?).

Lets hope it it includes food/drink, but I was really hoping the selection part could go in before he decides to tackle expanding out kitchen meals. Letting you pick which plants to work with for a given task is a lot easier than expanding the cooked goods list to more than 3 items.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 08:57:49 pm »

Lets hope it it includes food/drink, but I was really hoping the selection part could go in before he decides to tackle expanding out kitchen meals. Letting you pick which plants to work with for a given task is a lot easier than expanding the cooked goods list to more than 3 items.

'Z' one arrow to the right - enter

!!POOF!!

the great toady has read your mind and granted your request before you even thought about it! Just use your up and down arrow keys to scroll through the list, enter to toggle cooking, 'b' to toggle brewing. Toggling milling is not possible, but I support adding it.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 09:28:15 am »

Wow, gee, really? Who'da thunk it, there's already an options screen for toggling cooking and brewing of food items!
Well now, that's a load off my mind, I'll just retract this thread completely. I mean, why bother with my suggestion of being able to choose which specific stacks of plants to use for a given job when you can allow and deny whole food types from being used in the random selection process?
Well, guess I'll move on to my next suggestion, allowing dwarves to pick up (and use! not just carry around) weapons and armor to fight off invaders with! I know, I know, major game changer this is, but I believe it's worth it. Should probably add some way for dwarves to be conscripted into military service, something like a military screen where you can assign dwarves weapons and armor, maybe even group them together into squads.
I also had an idea for these things called "traps" to aid in fortress defense, but I'll save that for another thread.

Oh, I really hope toady likes my military suggestion, it's frustrating watching my fortress fail to the first goblin ambush that decides to attack...