Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Guard Rails  (Read 763 times)

dylguy90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Guard Rails
« on: March 21, 2011, 03:06:46 pm »

This is a pretty small suggestion, and I don't know if someone else has already thought of it, but I think it would be useful (if slightly less fun) to be able to put guard rails up along the edge of a cliff to prevent dwarves from falling/dodging/getting knocked/swept off in high-traffic areas. The idea is that they would be knee-high (chest-high for a dwarf), so if a dwarf really wanted to get over one (i.e., commit suicide) it would still be possible. Also, perhaps they wouldn't work, or actually make it easier for taller races to fall off, as they would be at shin level. That would be funny...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Guard Rails
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 03:16:21 pm »

I'd lump this in with fences.  They should prevent animal movement and restrict dwarf movement similar to the way a restricted zone hinders movement, but it's still possible to move if it's really needed, but incurs a time penalty as they crawl under it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 03:21:29 pm »

This is a pretty small suggestion, and I don't know if someone else has already thought of it, but I think it would be useful (if slightly less fun) to be able to put guard rails up along the edge of a cliff to prevent dwarves from falling/dodging/getting knocked/swept off in high-traffic areas. The idea is that they would be knee-high (chest-high for a dwarf), so if a dwarf really wanted to get over one (i.e., commit suicide) it would still be possible. Also, perhaps they wouldn't work, or actually make it easier for taller races to fall off, as they would be at shin level. That would be funny...

I like this idea.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 01:18:26 am »

How would it interact with one-or-two-square catwalks? Would they need to be two squares wider, would it be applied like a construction over the square in question, or would it hover in empty space?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 09:44:29 am »

I'd still want one-sided construction, like a wall on the edge of two tiles, but I'm assuming that would be complete hell to try and code in, so I'm not even wanting it.

Realistically, I'd vote for hanging option, same as Fortifications.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 10:13:19 am »

You can accomplish this by constructing vertical bars, but that takes an extra tile.
It would be nice to be able to build a construction on the edges of a tile, for the catwalks mentioned, but this would have serious impact on the pathfinder.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 11:04:40 am »

Plus, the game is designed to recognize tiles, not half-tiles, so it might be easier to recreate DF from scratch rather than add half-tiles.  It's just too fundamental to mess with.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 03:17:52 pm »

You wouldn't need to implement half-tiles.
All that would change is the path-finder.  There would need to be blocked/open flags which indicate which directions are open for movement.  Worst case, you add 8 bits to the tiles structure size and a few lines of code, so it's not a major re-write.
This implementation could even be re-purposed as a pathfinder cache, so that the algorithm only checks directions flagged as open.  This reduces the number of vector look-ups in a long loop, which would increase pathing performance.

The "fence" construction would need options for which side it is on, which would set aforementioned flags.  Some UI changes, there.  How to represent on screen the various combinations using the standard ASCII character set is another challenge.

Not difficult at all, but I doubt it will be implemented.
I always prefer bugfixes to new features.