Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vermin consumption  (Read 571 times)

niaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vermin consumption
« on: September 17, 2008, 05:44:34 pm »

Various dwarfs keep eating my newly caught, soon to be tamed, vermin. I suppose this might be a feature but I have plenty of other delicious food for them, it doesn't make much sense that they'd prefer a firesnake (my imagination paints firesnakes as quite deadly, what with the liquid fire and all).
None of the dwarfs had any preference for or against their chosen meal.
ust pretend this is interesting.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vermin consumption
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 07:14:58 pm »

yeah, its insane. ive found when im lucky enough to catch live purring maggots to milk, assigning them to a cage by a farmers shop away from the main traffic(it is vermin after all), to get that 'milk one a season' that wont work if its tamed... ive seen dwarves come far out of their way to grab the vermin, and run off with it to eat.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 08:24:38 pm »

yeah, its insane. ive found when im lucky enough to catch live purring maggots to milk, assigning them to a cage by a farmers shop away from the main traffic(it is vermin after all), to get that 'milk one a season' that wont work if its tamed... ive seen dwarves come far out of their way to grab the vermin, and run off with it to eat.

Yeah, you have to forbid (the vermin, not the trap) it to keep it safe when you're not using it.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 09:28:49 pm »

It's quite clear that vermin are preferentially eaten over any other kind of food. This should be straightforward to fix (just a matter of changing the order in which different food types are considered).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 09:32:09 pm »

But...
this rat looked so delicious

;D

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 11:41:53 pm »

Require vermin to be stuck 'onna stick' before they can be consumed.  ;)

Ooh, dwarven syrup coated large roach onna sick.

Actually, i'm pretty sure they don't get preference, just the same weightage as 'real' food. It's just more noticeable because of ridiculousness.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 11:45:13 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.