Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Precise World Generation  (Read 624 times)

Spyton

• Bay Watcher
  • Red Harvest
    • View Profile
Precise World Generation
« on: March 21, 2011, 09:44:06 pm »

The ability to precisesly choose how much of the terrain will be what. This would allow you to create Molten worlds, Jungle worlds, Evil worlds, desert worlds,or 50% jungle 25%%desert 25% ocean or any combination of any terrain in the game.

It would be implemented as an Option in the 'Design New Norld with Advanced Parameters'. If you dont care what the percentage of the terrain is you would leave it as [Default] and it would do what it does without it.

Or maybe you could start with certain presets that only allow the creation of certain types of worlds such as the ones mentioned above. This could not only allow for harder fortresses but civilization control.
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

dwarf_sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Precise World Generation
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:12:25 pm »

I think there should be an option to disable features that you don't want to use in the advanced editor. Some people don't care about a minimum amount glaciers, or the range that the global temperature has to be in. Being able to just select what you want different in your world would be so much easier.
Critical hit! It's super effective!

"You scratch the Giant Tiger in the Upper Body, tearing the muscle, shattering the right false rib and tearing apart the heart! An artery has been opened by the attack! A major artery in the heart has been opened by the attack! A tendon in the false right rib has been torn!"

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 11:56:33 pm »

There are ways to do this, sort of. But what you are suggesting would require a rewrite of the world gen code, since it's random by nature, the only way to do what you are suggesting is by regenning worlds until you get a satisfactory one, which can take a very long time.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 09:41:56 am »

I suggest you look at advanced world params.  Particularly, the paint options, which requires use of the mouse.  This lets you paint elevation, rainfall, temperature, volcanism, etc directly.  I've made a tailored world with mountains on one side to allow dwarves, plains on the rest, half hot, half random (which is temperate to hot), and half savage.  When embarking, I have a good choice of temperate/tropical, savage/calm, and evil/not.  The only thing you can't paint is good and evil.

Sure, it's not quite as fun as a randomly-generated world, but let's face it, you're only gonna be working in a 3x3 embark and you only care about that slice of terrain.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 04:05:11 am »

Speaking of the paint options, it would be nice to be able to paint good and evil, too. 
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 06:20:59 am »

World painter, AND advanced worldgen parameters.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 06:39:48 am »

You can use both, in fact one requires the other, but you cannot paint good and evil, you can only specify "make X good/evil regions somewhere".