Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Inter-system combat games  (Read 2616 times)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Inter-system combat games
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 11:26:54 pm »

Homeworld has real-time 3d space combat with a fairly deep tactical system, including various formations, specialized ships, limited fuel for fighters, etc., but as it is a straight-up RTS you lose the empire-building aspect. So it depends on what you want.

Wait, homeworlds fighters had limited fuel?

Christ, I played through the game and never noticed.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 11:27:06 pm »

So, sins of a solar empire is too high system requirement for at least one computer, after some testing.

My desktop is fine though, and its an epic game so no regrets buying it.

But as it is a straight-up RTS you lose the empire-building aspect. So it depends on what you want.
For the most part the important thing here is large scale maps and empire building, as well as passable combat.

Compulsory EDIT: Of course I use 'important' lightly in this case.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 11:50:56 pm by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 01:22:04 am »

Star Ruler - everything all mentioned above games (excluding ig2 becuse that old game outclass every newer one posted here) have in real time + possible maaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssive ships + multiple galaxies.
Also note that, while Star Ruler is awesome, it's has a steep learning curve and is both twitchy (specially in the early game) and long. Also, you'll be murdered and abused by the AI, it's really freaking good.

On another note, one of the awesomest things in Star Ruler is that you choose the scale. Want to build a drone so small it can't even be seen in the map even if you zoom? Go ahead. Want to build a monstrosity bigger then the galaxy? You can do that too. (It's probably going to take a few days real time though... :P )
The AI will murder you a few times, but after you get moderately good, you see how much the AI sucks, and even facing 4 at the same time, allied, on hardest difficulty becomes trivial (mainly because you can multiply your productivity vs the first time you played by a order of magnitude).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 [2]