Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: constant cavern collaspes  (Read 1326 times)

Pvtbones

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
constant cavern collaspes
« on: March 22, 2011, 02:23:46 am »

so I embarked on a half joyous wilds half haunted(or the other evils) embark (in .21, just switched over) and everything was going swell digging out the basics of my fort, I randomly notice theres a deceased cave dragon on the unit list and then about ten minutes later I start getting constant pause alert spam of a section of cavern has collapse.

there is an aquafier on this map.

any ideas on what could cause this (and will I have a flooded/ dead) cave?

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: constant cavern collaspes
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 02:28:59 am »

I get this too every time I load my fort, it's in the caverns and it's always a piece of loose loam it seems.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 04:26:32 am »

I have the same problem increasingly often lately. The game will usually crash for me several minutes later.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 04:28:10 am »

Ok I'm going to use my psychic powers to predict what you will see when you dig into the caverns (or use dfreveal):

1. The aquifer is leaking into the top cavern in one or more places.
2. This leak is filling up the lower areas and there is a drowned cave dragon corpse somewhere.
3. You have a magma pool up in the top cavern, and the water is flowing into that and bits of obsidian are causing cave-ins.

I would try turning off cave-ins in the init text file for a few seasons until it's covered and no more will fall in.  You'll have lots of Fun trying to stop it leaking and get the cavern back ;)
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 06:04:31 am »

Use DFreveal to figure it out.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Pvtbones

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 11:45:19 am »

so little bit of an update since after I posted.

I managed to dig down past the aquafier and I ran into warm stone a couple z layers under the entrance section of my fort (all I have is the entrance portion and the stockpile level above it with a farm)

I dug a channel and what do I see...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't really know what to do, I've never really got a fort to this area before..

will try and get pics later.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 09:30:40 pm »

that would definitely account for the cave ins ... water getting into the sea, forming obsidian, which then "falls" to the bottom of the magma sea in a "cave in".
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"