Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Do you buy food and booze from the caravans?  (Read 2576 times)

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you buy food and booze from the caravans?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 12:26:27 pm »

The only food that I buy (in 31.18) is:

- Seeds for underground crops so I can expand my harvests
- Cheese, fish, unprepared meats (for cooking)
- Non-dwarven drink
- Flour and syrups (both are a pain to micromanage to make)

I try hard to have my first crops planted by end of summer, with at least a 15 tile farm being tended to by a dedicated farmer.  After which I'm only buying raw materials for my cooks, or non-dwarven drink for variety.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 03:31:55 pm »

The caravans always bring TONS of food and enough drink to feed everyone.
Unless you request tons of stone at highest priority, in which case they'll fill up on that.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2011, 05:47:31 pm »

I don't usually, but sometimes I'll buy something we don't produce much of like cheese or fisher berry wine just for variety.
Memento Mori

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2011, 05:57:26 pm »

I usually buy out food and booze if I have nothing else I need from the caravans, just because food is more useful than vendor trash, or if the caravan would otherwise make a comically large profit.  I aim for booze I don't produce myself and and food that can be converted into the same.  Also, I always buy sun berries if they're available, because they're awesome.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2011, 06:06:57 pm »

I never buy any food or booze from the caravans. Even with 200 dwarfs i produce more food than I will ever need.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2011, 11:38:20 pm »

I buy food and booze first, then metal bars for what I cannot currently smelt, metal equipment, then leather and cloth last.

I'm constantly pumping vendor trash out of my workshops, just to get rid of stone.

I could atom smash it, but it feels wasteful.

Besides, dwarves like extravagant meals, which I'm constantly producing with all the extra food.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2011, 05:22:47 am »

Like others here I generally do it for the first year to get food variety/foreign booze without grubbing around in the daylight looking for berries (plant gatherer seems like such an undwarven profession), after that I usually have a mountain of food from dead cavern creatures/farm plots/breeding animals.  In the later years I trade only for metal objects, barrels, and stuff like bags of sand if I don't have enough bags for milling etc.

If I'm too busy setting up in the first year to make anything worth trading, I'll seize some of the elves' stuff, and I always make sure to take the food and useful wooden things.  The bonus to seizing rather than killing them is that they haul away all the junk by themselves, and they'll still come back to trade next year if you want to be nice to them ;)
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Joshua IX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2011, 05:32:35 am »

I just buy up the meat and delicious cheese to vary my dwarves roasts :D
Whatever happens, make it ironic dwarfy magma.

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2011, 06:48:14 am »

I used to buy barrels or dwarven milks from the mountainhomes when it was available. I still buy any milks available just for the extra cheese maker training. I'll also as for imports of booze, cave lobster, and any bagged goods. Even seeds, a bag of 40 dimple cup seeds makes 20 training biscuits. I used to heavily export syrup roasts, but now that they need some non-liquid ingredient, I am exporting lots and lots of crafts and furniture/mechanisms that are the result of training masons/mechanics.

I like a variety of food, then cooked into a roast, so that a ABCDRoast(20) counts as a AMeat(5), BMeat(5), CMeat(5), and DMeat(5) at the same time. I will low priority order one of each if agriculture needs to catch up to a recent migrant wave, but food/booze can usually be supplied for 100 dwarves with a team of 5 skilled plant gatherers lol.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2011, 09:07:00 am »

I do tend to buy up the raw ingredients for variety's sake, so my cook can turn it into delicious high quality meals.
It's not too hard to have enough money to buy anything I want from the caravans. Stone crafts & mechanisms, ahoy!

I never buy any booze, as it's all just basic quality (right?), and well, I always tend to have tons of my own booze (200 years worth). :P
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:08:47 am by Naros »

Carrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2011, 02:28:03 pm »

My forts get later and later before I set up any sort of farming, and usually rely on the caravans for food and booze (I'll usually end up brewing some of the plants bought from the caravans).
Pages: 1 2 [3]