Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Retired adventurer workers  (Read 7907 times)

Zyuta

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Retired adventurer workers
« on: March 19, 2011, 06:25:56 pm »

Let me first explain the relationship between dwarf fortress and adventurer mode and then I will explain the suggestion.
Dwarf fortress mode lets you run a dwarvern civilization. We know this already. But you can also make a heavily-fortified treasury, abandoned your fortress, and create a adventurer. When you do so, your fortress will still be there. That heavily-yfortified treasury will still be there. All those items in that treasury will still be there. Suppose you retired your adventurer after finding a good location to start a new fortress. You build the fortress there, but where did the "retired hero" go?
Suggestion: 
(Simple verison): When you retired a adventurer and place a dwarf fortress where that adventurer retired (your playable area must be on the place where the "hero" retired or this will not happen) something should happen. If you decide to prepare carefully you notice something: There is not seven dwarves, but eight! The retired adventurer joins your fortress!
(Explained verison): You have a really good swordmaster dwarf adventurer with the best equipment possible: Adamant. (Hope I splled it correctly). You are bored and want to play Dwarf Fortress mode now. You retired your adventurer where you will place the fortress (inside the fortress playable area). Doing so should add the adventurer to your "expedition dwarves", the dwarves you start with.
To prevent over-abuse of this however there is two limiations: The adventurer cannot be a demi-god; You can only have three adventurers join your expedition, starting with 20 legendary swordmasters with Adamant gear isn't fair.

Zyuta

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Retired adventurer workers
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 06:27:20 pm »

I'm entirely sorry if this is on the to-do list or has been posted before. There is too many topics and too big of a list for me to go through. I do not have the time nor patience to go through the suggestion forums and the to-do list to see if this idea was posted before. Don't call me lazy for that please.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 06:34:08 pm »

One huge problem.  You can only embark on non-mountain, non-ocean, non-civ tiles.  IE, you cannot embark on top of an existing city.

You can only retire a hero in a city.  In the wilderness, you "give in to starvation" instead.

Thus, you cannot embark onto the location where you retire your adventurer.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 06:39:25 pm »

This sort of interaction is planned, once fortress mode and adventure mode become more unified.  Either through being able to handpick world entities for your fort, or better retired-unit AI and migration.

Zyuta

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 01:23:26 am »

One huge problem.  You can only embark on non-mountain, non-ocean, non-civ tiles.  IE, you cannot embark on top of an existing city.

You can only retire a hero in a city.  In the wilderness, you "give in to starvation" instead.

Thus, you cannot embark onto the location where you retire your adventurer.

Heres a thought. You retire a few minutes before it turns spring, retired, start fortress mode. The hero should still be alive.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 02:56:11 am »

You might want to check out the modding forums then, specifically the DFusion and DFHack threads. You can use the DFusion follow function  to "carry" as many retired adventurers as you want to an abandoned fortress, and when you reclaim, your adventurers should be present on the map as "Friendly" units. At this point, you can use Runesmith to turn him/her into a member of your civ (if the adventurer isn't the same race as your civ, you may need to use DFusion to get him to do jobs).

I've actually used Embark Anywhere to embark in a town where a previous adventurer had retired - unfortunately any inhabitants were hostile to my dwarves (apparently the human civ was at war with my civ), and so my starting seven was massacred. Still, I saw my elven adventurer listed as "Friendly" so if I had cheated using Runesmith to turn all the villagers friendly as well I could have gone on to build a fort with the adventurer as a member of the fortress.

In more exciting news, the new dfmode utility of DFHack allows you to switch over from fortress mode to adventurer mode, selecting one of your dwarves to become an adventurer. It's not perfect (you have to follow a complicated series of steps, crashes are common, and you cannot retire your new adventurer anywhere) but once it's cleaned up a bit it should open up lots of new possibilities.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:24:25 pm by Langdon »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 03:35:53 am »

You might want to check out the modding forums then, specifically the DFusion and DFHack threads. You can use the DFusion follow function  to "carry" as many retired adventurers as you want to an abandoned fortress, and when you reclaim, your adventurers should be present on the map as "Friendly" units. At this point, you can use Runesmith to turn him/her into a member of your civ (if the adventurer isn't the same race as your civ, you may need to use DFusion to get him to do jobs).

I've actually used Embark Anywhere to embark in a town where a previous adventurer had retired - unfortunately any inhabitants are automatically hostile to your dwarves, and so my starting seven was massacred. Still, I saw my elven adventurer listed as "Friendly" so if I had cheated using Runesmith to turn all the villagers friendly as well I could have gone on to build a fort with the adventurer as a member of the fortress.

In more exciting news, the new dfmode utility of DFHack allows you to switch over from fortress mode to adventurer mode, selecting one of your dwarves to become an adventurer. It's not perfect (you have to follow a complicated series of steps, crashes are common, and you cannot retire your new adventurer anywhere) but once it's cleaned up a bit it should open up lots of new possibilities.
oh the whole can't retire from the fact that swapping doesn't give you retiring rights as a adventurer will get the way around that is to place them in a safe area swap to a safe target like a wild animal and kill your self... or swap to fort mode in a non embark site then abandon. you will retire and be able to start a new adventurer or fort mode.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 05:58:35 am »

oh the whole can't retire from the fact that swapping doesn't give you retiring rights as a adventurer will get the way around that is to place them in a safe area swap to a safe target like a wild animal and kill your self... or swap to fort mode in a non embark site then abandon. you will retire and be able to start a new adventurer or fort mode.

Nice! I haven't tried out the fort-to-adventure mode change yet, but if I can get this method to work, it means I don't have to destroy a fort if I get bored - I just have to take one of my soldiers out adventuring, and will leave the fort as a viable site to visit later.

By "safe area" do you mean a village or town, somewhere you would normally retire?