Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Simplified Labor Selections  (Read 3222 times)

iron_general

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simplified Labor Selections
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2011, 10:27:13 pm »

The list I made started with a general view, if it seems acceptible adding stuff like cooping would just go in the same place carpentry is now. Cooking would be split into things like cutting and baking easily enough. If this list seems generally complete I could start doing that over the next few days.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2011, 10:30:31 pm »

The list I made started with a general view, if it seems acceptible adding stuff like cooping would just go in the same place carpentry is now. Cooking would be split into things like cutting and baking easily enough. If this list seems generally complete I could start doing that over the next few days.
So wait are you saying that a cooper can just stay with carpentry, yet cutting food is it's own skill?
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

iron_general

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2011, 10:52:36 pm »

I guess that was poorly worded, I meant that things like cooping (carpentry skills) are represented by the placeholder of carpentry under the construction and woodworking skill-families, which does not have much impact on the general list I created. Something more detailed will take time, any suggestions will be very helpful.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2011, 10:56:51 pm »

I am currently working on a list of skills which associate each skill with a set of skill "families"  Such as wood, furniture, stone, ore, etc.
The more related skill families your already trained in the faster you can learn new skills, so learning a stone/furniture skills will be quicker if you already have a stone skill or a furniture skill, but would be even faster if you had both.

iron_general

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2011, 11:38:18 pm »

I like this. So carpentry could be split into wood furniture (furniture, bins, barrels buckets), wood contructions and a skill that covers weapons and the like. If the table I made was used (with more specific skills) a dwarf who was skilled in wood constructions would learn woodcrafting, stone constructions, building designing, carpentry skills and bowmaking more efficiently. If he was skilled in woodcrafting carpentry skills and crafting skills would be learned faster.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2011, 12:00:01 am »

No more like this (edit- well no actually you kinda got it),  This is all I have so far

Cooper- Skill for making Barrels and Buckets. Wood and Furniture

Turner- Skill for carving wood on a lathe, which creates furniture parts, spear shafts, etc . Wood and Furniture

Joiner- Skill for combining furniture parts to make furniture(tables, bed frames, chairs, etc) , more parts are needed for larger objects. Wood and Furniture

Wood Carving- Skill for creating wooden figures, instruments, and other crafts. As well as creating images on finished wood projects. Wood and Art 

Bowyer- Skill in making bows and putting together crossbows. Wood

Fletcher- Skill in making arrows and bolts. None

Miner- Skill in mining stone, ore, and gems with a pick. Stone, Infrastructure, and gems

Stone Detailer- Skill in smoothing stone walls and floors. Infrastructure and Stone

Engraver- Skill in creating images on smoothed walls, floors, or stone/metal objects. Art

Sculpter- Skill in creating large works of art from stone. Stone and Art

Shearer- Skill in shearing animals. Animal Husbandry

Milker- Skill in milking animals. Animal Husbandry 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 12:02:26 am by King_of_the_weasels »

iron_general

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2011, 10:43:10 am »

Sounds good thus far, the only critisism I can offer is that joining seems rather overly specific. It might be better if it applied to more fields including assembling furniture (deffinatly wood, but possibly other types, weapons (once heads and shafts are different objects), and perhaps mechanisms and siege engins.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]