Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do I do this...  (Read 2152 times)

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: How do I do this...
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 07:05:14 am »

If anyone can embark on a 16*16 without the game crashing I will be mightily impressed. You will hit the 2GB memory limit with even an 8*8 embark before you ever see the actual map.

I've done it without any problem. Slow as hell, naturally, and I never actually played out the fort - just ran dfreveal to try to find the small embark with the most candy. Which was surprisingly hard to do, because the map is just so frickin big that even checking position takes forever.

Calling bullshit unless you used some old version which defeats the entire purpose. I tried this in vanilla 0.31.18 & 0.31.19 (with & without graphics tilesets) & watching the Dwarf Fortress.exe process in Process Explorer would show it eat up 2GB of RAM then crash hard.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 07:20:31 am »

I tried a 16x16 embark a bit ago, it hung up on embark and refused to cooperate.  I tried a 15x15, and waited longer.  It stopped responding, and then crashed a few minutes later.  An 8x8 nearly crashed, but managed to stay afloat for a little while.  I abandoned because I had no intent to play, just wanted to see if it were possible.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 08:38:03 am »

I've had a successful 16x16 in an older version, i think if you limit zlevels enough you'll manage it... But i love my zlevels
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 08:39:13 am »

I have an average 4GB's of ram, so mine may be able to take it for a short period of time.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 09:14:13 am »

I have an average 4GB's of ram, so mine may be able to take it for a short period of time.

Unfortunately it's not that simple.  Under Microsoft Windows, each individual ordinary program is limited to a 2 GB address space; even if you have far more RAM than that.  There is an option when compiling (linking actually) a program to make it "large address aware", which allows it to use up to 4 GB on a 32-bit version of Windows, or 8 TB on a 64-bit version of Windows; this can slow performance somewhat and has various other issues, so it's still pretty uncommon.  Note that since a 32-bit version of Windows can only address 4 GB total (and out of that you need the OS itself, graphics memory, and so on), realistically you can't actually get anywhere near that for a single program.  You also have to increase the user memory space on 32-bit Windows (which can lead to instability), which usually puts an upper limit of 3 GB, and in practice somewhat less than that. 

Under Linux, 32-bit versions allow up to 3 GB for a single program; plus PAE-enabled kernels on modern PAE-aware hardware allow even 32-bit version of OS to address a max of 64 GB total, which if you actually have more than 4 GB physical greatly increases the chance you'll be able to successfully handle a nearly 3 GB image without stability issues.  I think this is one reason why some of the bizarrely broken embarks (spires, etc.) have been loadable on Linux but not Windows. 

This sort of complex memory management mess is why power users are moving to 64-bit OSs; even with 4 GB of RAM you tend to see improvements, and larger amounts can have a dramatic effect.  It requires the programmers to cooperate to get more than a small benefit, however.  We're still somewhat in the "chicken vs. egg" stage where programmers don't bother doing the work to produce 64-bit or at least large address aware versions because there aren't enough 64-bit users; and ordinary users aren't moving to 64-bit because there aren't enough programs that benefit. 

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 01:17:24 pm »

Calling bullshit unless you used some old version which defeats the entire purpose. I tried this in vanilla 0.31.18 & 0.31.19 (with & without graphics tilesets) & watching the Dwarf Fortress.exe process in Process Explorer would show it eat up 2GB of RAM then crash hard.

No, vanilla .18.

I've never been able to figure out how to post an actual image, if someone will explain that I'll be glad to post a screenshot.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 01:23:51 pm »

Press Print Screen on the keyboard, should be around the insert key.  Open paint, hit Ctrl V.  Save it, and upload it to any image hosting site (like img.ie or your choice).  Use the link the site gives you to post on the forums.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 01:28:49 pm »

Press Print Screen on the keyboard, should be around the insert key.  Open paint, hit Ctrl V.  Save it, and upload it to any image hosting site (like img.ie or your choice).  Use the link the site gives you to post on the forums.

Oh. Well, that's easy enough.

Taking daughter to the movies, will post on my return.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 05:23:07 pm »

Suck it, skeptic:

38 fps. If you look real close you can see my tiny little band of doomed-to-abandonment dwarves in the upper left-hand corner.

0.31.18 unmodded, graphic tileset is Phoebus I think, I dunno.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 09:51:58 pm »

Calling bullshit unless you used some old version which defeats the entire purpose.
Current version is 0.31.21. Also posting a save would allow proper verification. Curious as to how it even loads for you. Are you running DF on MacOS or Linux or something? Have you tweaked the worlgen parameters to remove some cavern layers? I tried it on XP 64-bit & Windows 7 x64. Both machines are Core 2 Q6600 CPU's with 4 GB RAM.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 10:07:32 pm »

Calling bullshit unless you used some old version which defeats the entire purpose.
Current version is 0.31.21. Also posting a save would allow proper verification. Curious as to how it even loads for you. Are you running DF on MacOS or Linux or something? Have you tweaked the worlgen parameters to remove some cavern layers? I tried it on XP 64-bit & Windows 7 x64. Both machines are Core 2 Q6600 CPU's with 4 GB RAM.

Windows 7x64, Core 2 Q8400, 8 gig. Small world, 1 cavern layer.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 10:40:13 pm »

I tried it on XP 64-bit & Windows 7 x64. Both machines are Core 2 Q6600 CPU's with 4 GB RAM.
You should be able to run a 16x16 on that. I just tried it on a Windows 7 64 machine with 4GB RAM and a C2D at 2.13 GHz, and it barely ran a 16x16 (0 fps, used 1.7 GB RAM, took an age to embark and save). I have very few programs on my computer though.

Was a pocket world, .19, with very short worldgen and three cavern layers.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]