Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Gravity generators  (Read 9244 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Gravity generators
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2011, 04:07:44 pm »

I'd always heard that a neutron star is basically one giant neutron.
Lolwut.

They are made of the stuff. Billions of them. But one hugeass one? No way.

Quote from: wikipedia
3.7×1017 to 5.9×1017 kg/m3
Whoa, now that's dense,
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 04:11:46 pm by Darvi »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2011, 05:28:17 pm »

wiki says it's the "Pauli exclusion principle"

EDIT: damn ninjas!
Yep, the high gravity is trying to push everything into the same spot, but two neutron's can't be at the same place at the same time. So there's an upper limit to how small a neutron star can get without converting it's neutrons into something more exotic.

Also, trying to push so much matter togheter is like taking entropy and sticking it in a blender. It'll get very pissed at you and as soon as gravity allows it it'll strike back ;)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2011, 05:31:39 pm »

I'd always heard that a neutron star is basically one giant neutron.
Lolwut.

They are made of the stuff. Billions of them. But one hugeass one? No way.

I think "one big atom" is indeed more apt.  12C is 6 protons and 6 neutrons.  238U is 92 protons and 146 neutrons.  Hydrogen, Deuterium and Tritium (1H, 2H and 3H) each have one proton but also 0, 1 or 2 neutrons, respectively.  A neutron star would be ahelluvalot? with zero protons[1] and ahelluvalot neutrons.

You're talking about one of the exotic low-energy forms of matter (BEC?) where the 'whole' is an indistinguishable amorphous mass, and there's going to be too much energy within the neutron star to allow that to happen.  OTOH, a true singularities could be considered a giant (by mass, not volume) particle, I suppose, with its spin/mass/charge properties dictated to by the sum of the source material for it.  Whichever way, we're not looking at anything like Jumbonium...

[1] Near as damnit, if for any reason there was an electron sufficiency or some other odd imbalance.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2011, 05:33:19 pm »

I think "one big atom" is indeed more apt.
Great. Now you got me imagining a neutron star with planets orbiting around it like electrons x3

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2011, 05:39:12 pm »

Great. Now you got me imagining a neutron star with planets orbiting around it like electrons x3

Naw, that'd have to be a Proton Star with an Electron Planet.  And I wouldn't like to deal with the issue of the cyclotron radiation (and short-lived orbit!) from such a system.  But, hey, you'd soon have yourself a neutron star with no electron planets at all around it, right?   :)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2011, 06:21:07 pm »

Also, trying to push so much matter togheter is like taking entropy and sticking it in a blender. It'll get very pissed at you and as soon as gravity allows it it'll strike back ;)
If I were a physics teacher, I'd totally use this during my classes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2011, 06:27:25 pm »

Since this is the thread for dubious scientific statements, I guess I might as well share this here:

From another forum, a guy commenting on the Fukushima nuclear plant incident. "Radiation splits our atoms, so I am afraid there will be more victims".
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2011, 06:29:32 pm »

Only beta and alpha radiation. I think. And even then only under specific circumstances.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2011, 06:45:39 pm »

I think beta-electrons are going too fast to actually undergo K-capture and I don't think they can actually cause fission or transmutation by hitting the nucleus head-on. Not that it'd really matters, because the amount of electrons that actual hits a nucleus for any amount of non-lethal beta radiation can best be described as homeopathic.
As for alpha radiation, I doubt it'd get through the electron shells surrounding an atom. Instead it'd cause a rapid cascade of ionization, which is just as nasty as it sounds, but luckily the outer layer of your skin is dead so it won't mind anyway.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2011, 06:48:41 pm »

Never mind that they both get blocked by walls anyway. Really the only radiation to worry about are gamma rays.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2011, 06:50:52 pm »

Ionizing radiation in general, rather. (Which would include alpha and beta radiation)

The point is the inherent sillyness of "Radiation is bad because it splits our atoms". I found it funny and decided to share it here, only it was not quite suited to the "happy" thread, and it was too light hearted for the fukishima thread
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:53:14 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2011, 06:58:26 pm »

That's some bad radiation.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2011, 07:14:00 pm »

Quote from: something being paraphrased out-of-context in a probably mistimed bit of humour
To get back to the warning that I received. You may take it with however many clicks of geiger that you wish. That the brown radiation that is circulating around us isn't too good. It is suggested that you stay away from that. Of course it's your own disaster zone. So be my guest, but please be advised that there is a warning on that one, ok?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2011, 12:26:44 pm »

If I were a physics teacher, I'd totally use this during my classes.

I am one, and I do. :)
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]