Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Selling Statues?  (Read 7422 times)

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
Re: Selling Statues?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 01:23:45 am »

There's a few quirks though.  Some items in containers can't be found using the search function and have to be found by locating the bins/barrels.

I had a slight panic attack the other day when the huge export of roasts I was preparing disappeared and can't be found.  Apparently, they were all placed in Prepared Food jars and barrels and can only be found by using those search words.
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 04:41:58 am »

Does anyone pay attention to the words on their screen anymore?  It says "s to search" or something like that on the trade screen, so, y'know...

Although, to be honest I'd just melt the statue or place it somewhere.  All furniture items can be melted for 1 bar back, so you can make a hundred addy statues, pick one you like, and melt the rest, and you'll suffer no loss.  That being said, I do frequently request platinum/aluminum from caravans, make a statue or two, and then sell those statues to buy out the entire caravan next year.  Platinum is a renewable resource though, adamantine is not.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 04:48:52 am »

Statues are heavy. I prefer *obsidian mugs* or -large serrated green glass discs-.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 04:54:27 am »

That's true, but adamantine statues aren't heavy, now are they :3

My platinum ones were.  Those things weighed a TON!  Still, I was buying platinum nuggets from the caravan, so I freed up their weight limit also.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 05:32:00 am »

You are wasting adamantine on crafts for the caravan ? It would appear much wiser to me to sell renewable goods to the caravan (wood, food, cloth, leather, bone etc), or goods you have in such huge quantities (stone) that it's not a problem.

Or just indeed make your fortress an industrial plant. Buy primary goods, craft, sell secondary goods. Benefit !

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 06:54:26 am »

Just give them crap goblin/kobold clothes & other stuff you don't need which you end up with anyway (e.g skull totems). The first caravan is the only one I ever actually need to make stuff specifically to trade with & usually that involves a craftdwarves workshop, some bins & a load of spare rock left around from mining out my fortress.
Most of my forts tend to have 3 or more 7*7 rooms filled with bins of mostly reclaimed goblin crap (that's 49 bins per room) just for trading & I can never get rid of it all quickly enough between the 3 caravans before there's more stuff to add to the trade stockpiles.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 07:28:44 am »

Quadraped  is the DF equivalent to Quad Damage from Quake...or maybe Ultra Kill from Unreal Tournament.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 05:20:23 am »

I find the most useful key on the trading screen is 'd'.

That's the "Search by value/distance" toggle.  So instead of a list of logs or whatever crap happens to be 3 tiles from your depot, you get a list starting with the most valuable items.  Unless your trading strategy is to make 20000 stonecraft junk and dump it on the caravan each season, this is much more useful than sorting by distance.  You will need the trading dwarf to have some appraising skill for this to be available.

My advice to people trading stonecrafts or goblin leftovers is to stop it and find an industry that requires less keystrokes ;)
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 07:09:02 am »

My advice to people trading stonecrafts or goblin leftovers is to stop it and find an industry that requires less keystrokes ;)

And then you have metric asstons of Goblin clothes cluttering your map & helping to kill your FPS after every siege/ambush. If your answer to that is "Atomsmash" or "dump in magma" congratulations you just successfully defeated your own point.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 07:23:15 am »

I always sell useless junk.  I never make my own trade goods, and instead have a stockpile of finished goods.  S to search, "finish" will give you finished goods bins.  I sell like ten boxes per caravan and can't get rid of it fast enough.

The armor and weapons I melt, by making a stockpile of armor and weapons that only accepts iron, copper, bronze, bismuth bronze, and silver.  I periodically just designate the whole pile for melting, and it gives a lot of bars.  Forts made of copper aren't unusual for me, I've got bars of the crud coming out the ears!

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 08:57:23 am »

And then you have metric asstons of Goblin clothes cluttering your map & helping to kill your FPS after every siege/ambush. If your answer to that is "Atomsmash" or "dump in magma" congratulations you just successfully defeated your own point.

Why make life difficult for yourself by sending squads of dwarves to roam across the map and leave little piles of refuse out by the borders where someone has to clean it up?  I used to do that all the time, and I'd regularly have a bunch of haulers killed because the next invader group came on to the map right next to the pile of crap the previous one left behind.  Much better to let your invaders bring their own rags to your killing zone, where you can clean it with magma or bridges without hauling anything at all.  And the effect on FPS of a bunch of forbidden clothes is practically zero anyway.  You might be confusing it with the effect on FPS when you have 1000 hauling jobs lined up to take them all inside, or 1000 bring to depot jobs to sell them again.

I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.
Pages: 1 [2]