Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you think piracy is harmful to the media that is being pirated?

Yes, it is a terrible crime.
It can be harmful at times.
It is neither helpful nor harmful.
It can be both helpful and harmful.
It can be helpful at times.
No, it is the best thing to happy to many media since the Beatles.
Undecided.
Other.
Don't care. / View poll.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Piracy  (Read 5122 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Let's Discuss Piracy
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2011, 11:57:31 am »

So then forum ninjas would leap around on top of buildings and assassinate people making a post?
Thread pirates would attempt to keep the threads hijacked and derailed to their rendevous, and thread necromancers will revive zombies into the fray. Just as well, adbots will find holes to fill out of nowhere, and eventually a monster will come out of the mix and we'll have thread ninja pirate zombie robots.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2011, 11:58:41 am »

... I'll have to become a robot too then?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2011, 12:16:11 pm »

Meh.  I download things because I have zero income and usually want to try something for a few minutes before I set it aside.  Music... yeah, I have quite a bit of it, and I'll probably buy higher-quality copies someday if it's still around.

Some of this stuff I download simply because I don't think it's going to be available on the market in 10 years--or ever available in the US.  That's what I get for largely listening to obscure stuff that was never popular.

I'll admit that I'm not as fond of things like downloading books, for people who could buy them anyway.  For people who can't... well, I think it's important to educate oneself.

It's still a very fuzzy issue for me, and I'll admit that my position isn't very strong one way or another.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2011, 02:38:41 pm »

Music
Let's do some math: I have 348 different albums on my PC.
Average price of an album is 9.99 EUR.
9.99 * 348 = 3 476.52 EUR
There is NO way I am going to pay more that 3000 euros just to listen to music ...

Games
I only download games if they are old (*10 euros for starcraft I? That game is prehistoric* -> download)
Or if I have seen some very bad reviews (Red Alert III)

Video
I have downloaded 4 seasons of Dexter just because it was so epic and I wanted to see everything but apart from that I don't really watch a lot of televison

Other
I also have downloaded Microsoft Office on my laptop. Do you really think I'm going to pay 60 EUR for something every Windows computer should have by default?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2011, 05:58:35 pm »

LibreOffice does the same thing as MSOffice for free, and can save stuff in the same formats if you want. Don't need to pirate that.

But more on topic, is this: http://www.scribd.com/doc/50196972/MPEE-1-0-1 (summary version)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2011, 06:01:25 pm »

LibreOffice does the same thing as MSOffice for free, and can save stuff in the same formats if you want. Don't need to pirate that.

But more on topic, is this: http://www.scribd.com/doc/50196972/MPEE-1-0-1 (summary version)

Yup but you still need word if you school teach it, for instance. And it's a bit lacking against word 2010. Anyway, now that the project is in the hand of the community, I expect that to change.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2011, 06:04:22 pm »

I am sorta interested to hear from the people that said No, it is the best thing to happy to many media since the Beatles.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2011, 06:08:09 pm »

Yup but you still need word if you school teach it, for instance. And it's a bit lacking against word 2010. Anyway, now that the project is in the hand of the community, I expect that to change.
Wouldn't it (Word 2010) come with the computers if you're teaching at a school, though? Thats seems to be a fairly basic thing.
And hey, if you want every new little thing and an odd interface, I'm not going to argue you down, go right ahead and use your MSOffice 2010.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2011, 06:16:48 pm »

Wouldn't it (Word 2010) come with the computers if you're teaching at a school, though? Thats seems to be a fairly basic thing.
And hey, if you want every new little thing and an odd interface, I'm not going to argue you down, go right ahead and use your MSOffice 2010.
Thank you very much but I wouldn't touch a Microsoft product with gloves  :D
I use latex and libreoffice, but my sister, for instance need word for her course (2007 because it's the school's one).

Oh and I voted No, it is the best thing to happy to many media since the Beatles. I learned from all the group I like trough Internet. Without piracy I wouldn't even know them.

Really the fight against piracy is more about keeping mainstream groups popular than anything else, I think.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2011, 06:21:55 pm »

Yeah, I don't know, I don't play music so I don't pirate that, I can get new movies as rentals for $1, and I don't play many mainstream games (the ones I do buy I buy from steam). I occasionally download old games (think original game boy, gotta have my old Zelda) I wouldn't be finding anywhere except ebay and craigslist and buying them now wouldn't be giving the publisher any incentive to publish more of that (esp. if they're defunct or the series discontinued).

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2011, 06:30:15 pm »

I pirate 'casue I'm cheap. If I really, REALLY felt the need to support the developer I would just donate.

Also, I have little money and am paranoid about the financial future of the U.S. ... so that doesn't help.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2011, 06:53:45 pm »

I was expecting this to be about the Somali pirates. Damn.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2011, 06:57:34 pm »

Yar!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2011, 06:59:31 pm »

Those wussies? They don't know what it's like to be a true pirate. Nor do they know the joy of feeling like a pro hacker when taking the credit of someone else's crack.

Hell, I bet most of them haven't even killed a man... on a pirated game.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:09:04 pm by CoughDrop »
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."
Pages: 1 2 [3]