Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: What to do with a clock?  (Read 23157 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: What to do with a clock?
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2011, 08:46:25 pm »

Wow. Holy necro.

I decided it was better to post in an existing thread than to start a new one, especially considering somebody in another thread linked to this one and suggested building this very clock in 0.31, something which may very well have failed due to mechanical behavior changes.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2011, 08:57:58 pm »

A bit of a bump, but I was considering building this in 0.31.xx until I recalled a personal experience with a 3-step repeater (see this revision of the relevant wiki page) in which a pressure plate below an active pump's input tile would not trigger when water was dropped onto it (in that particular case, it'd just turn into a mist generator that operated at maximum speed). I'd hate to build this entire clock and have it not work (namely, having the day cycle fail to ever advance the week cycle) on account of this behavior.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Repeater

"Building a pump after the gear which powers it or a gear after the pressure plate which disengages it will introduce a 1-step delay; so, depending on build order, the repeater might have a period between 400 and 408 steps. If the pumps, gears, and pressure plates are built in that order, then this system will repeat every 400 steps, exactly"

In your case, the pump may be sucking up the fluid before the pressure plate checks for the fluid's presence.

Jyppa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2011, 09:46:22 pm »

If we assume that Quietust followed the directions, the clock can still be built without requiring that brief touch trigger.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]