Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Having a problem with my computer...  (Read 904 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Having a problem with my computer...
« on: March 14, 2011, 10:19:15 pm »

Recently i've been having a problem with my computer, most games do not launch at all (Since this is a work computer it only has games like DF and LCS.) When I try to launch them it says "The program can't start because fmodex.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.". So I looked into the DF Directory and did in fact see Fmodex.dll, I have no idea whats going on. I also want to note that I am not even close to being good with computers, and I may have just accidently messed something up. Any help would be appreciated.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Having a problem with my computer...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 04:53:23 am »

1: Cold boot your computer. That is, turn it completely off including all other devices like printers, etc. and turn them all back on. Let it stay off for a minute or two, get some coffee, whatever.

2: Try a fresh install of DF in another folder entirely.

3: Install a different free game and try it.

1 checks to see if it's a weird random minor problem that fixes itself.
2 checks to make sure it isn't that specific DF install that's having issues.
3 checks to make sure it isn't your computer having trouble with DF in general.

If 1 works, great. End of problem.

If 1 fails but 2 works, try moving your saves over and carry on with the other install. Delete the old install.

If 1 and 2 fail but 3 works, this is an issue with DF and it's probably more complex than I can help with. But you know that DF is part of the problem.

If all 3 fail, your computer is having problems with multiple types of programs and the issue is much deeper.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic