Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Running A Minecraft Server Over FTP  (Read 16399 times)

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Running A Minecraft Server Over FTP
« on: March 12, 2011, 10:21:20 am »

After posting on the Minecraft forums, I've got an offer off a person to allow me to run a Minecraft server off his PC. He's in London and I'm in Northern England, so it's quite a distance.

I figure I can use FTP etc to make it work, but I've never ran a Minecraft server and would like some advice. :p Nevermind the fact that I've never REALLY used much FTP in the past.

Is it possible to run a Minecraft server purely off file transfer without any interference from an admin at the server itself? Does anyone know any FTP software clients (FileZilla is the one I'm considering using) that will allow me to remotely run programs (and therefore Minecraft server access)? Can anyone give me any advice on successfully adminning a Minecraft server and what server hosting software, plugins etc to use or can direct me to a reasonable guide on this stuff?

Finally: Would anyone else like to join me? :p I'm planning on running something similar to the nations servers but in the Primordia desert environment. This is what is taking me so long to update. :p

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
Re: Running A Minecraft Server Over FTP
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 11:21:29 am »

You can't run programs trough FTP alone.

It's a File Transfer Protocol for a reason :).
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 12:15:22 pm »

I haven't seen the nations server, but I'd be in if we used a Primordia map
edit: If it doesn't lag too much for a Canadian
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:19:29 pm by Jusman »
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 01:25:42 pm »

...I hope this doesn't sound too rude, but it just flat-out doesn't work that way. You need a lot more than FTP access to run a minecraft server. You'll need an actual account on the server and a way to remotely admin it.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 05:28:52 pm »

You can't run programs trough FTP alone.

It's a File Transfer Protocol for a reason :).

I thought so. :p I'll need a remote access account of some sort, then?

I wonder if Windows Remote Help would work in this situation.

I haven't seen the nations server, but I'd be in if we used a Primordia map
edit: If it doesn't lag too much for a Canadian

Nations is basically like a guild system. That's it, I think. Primordia IS awesome. :p

And, yes, you silly Canadians. ;p You'll probably be getting around 170 ms if you're on a decent line.

...I hope this doesn't sound too rude, but it just flat-out doesn't work that way. You need a lot more than FTP access to run a minecraft server. You'll need an actual account on the server and a way to remotely admin it.

Nah, no worries. :p

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 05:33:26 pm »

Hamachi. 'Nuff said.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 01:05:55 am »

Hamachi doesn't let you do anything special, all it does is give a static IP for all computers on the Hamachi network (and tells everyone what that IP is), not let you actually log onto said computers.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 08:51:38 am »

You should rent server space. There's some good services advertised in the minecraft forums. I'm using the cheapest option that Brohosting offers, and it's about $11 for four months and allows for about 4 people to be online at once. The server gets a bit wonky if there are actually 3-4 people on so if you want to run a serious Minecraft server, I suggest you pay more.

For me, the cheapest option works, and my friends threw a few toonies at me when I told them about the server. 6 dollars in change kind of hurts when it hits you.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 11:10:37 am »

Hamachi. 'Nuff said.
Maybe LogMeIn, that is owned by the same company, but Hamachi helps nothing in this instance.

Anyways yes, FTP is only for transferring files.  You'll need VNC of some sort, Windows' RDC, or LogMeIn (which IS just a fancy VNC setup, but I digress) in order to actually -run- the server.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 01:56:55 pm »

Under Linux, an account on the server plus an ssh connection would be enough.  Under Windows, you'll need what Jay mentions, some kind of VNC or remote log-in (could use the built-in Windows Remote Desktop Connection if he's got the right version of Windows).

KG