Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding a Graphic for DF  (Read 766 times)

Scotieus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Adding a Graphic for DF
« on: March 09, 2011, 03:30:16 am »

Hi all.. this is probably some kind of repost and i apologize for that.. but im horrible at trying to search forums for answers in existing posts with thousands of replies..

My question is this.

I play with Mike Maydays dwarf fortress graphic set.  I just downloaded the latest set after a long break of playing DF, and for the first time i have a Water Buffalo.  But as of yet there is no graphic for the water buffalo... so i was going to just use an already existing graphic that he has as the water buffalo.. but i cant quite figure out how to make the game grab the mayday graphic as the water buffalo.

if anyone could give me simple instructions on how to make it work i would be most appreciative!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Adding a Graphic for DF
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 03:45:40 am »

This is better asked on the modding forums...

But, check out DF\raw\graphics - it has a list of .txt files that relate to the images located in nearby folders.  You should be able to glance over it and realize the syntax and what you need to copy.

Alternatively, Phoebus has a robust graphic set that updates like instantly (for real, she must have no life and just sits there making sprites) and uses a lot of the same images as Mayday's.

Scotieus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 03:55:18 am »

Oh sorry, ill try reposting to the modding forum.  im kinda new here hehe.. first post :(

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 05:29:22 am »

Use the allmighty elfcrusher Ironhand!
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Warped

• Bay Watcher
  • Crowded elevators smell different to dwarfs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 02:58:20 pm »

As not to waste this thread I'd like to ask is there a Fort Defense graphics pack out there? To word it sanely, is there a graphics set for frogmen, tigermen, Elephant wrestlers etc.?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 03:00:28 pm »

If you can find appropriately sized sprites should be easy to mesh in.  Hardest part seems to be making the actual art.

Warped

• Bay Watcher
  • Crowded elevators smell different to dwarfs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 01:55:07 pm »

Just an update to answer my own question and for those also curious.

You can find a user created graphics set for the FD mod here:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62874.msg2059641#msg2059641