Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pretty Awesome Gamersgate Sale  (Read 1499 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pretty Awesome Gamersgate Sale
« on: March 08, 2011, 06:23:02 pm »

Right now it seems Gamersgate is having a good sale for their anniversary and I'm seeing a lot of great deals that interest me, and as a side, probably a lot of you.
I'm seeing things like Arkham Asylum for $10, Crysis for $7,  Eu3 complete for $6, and some more familiar games with over 60% discounts, and I don't see any mention of it on the board.
http://www.gamersgate.com/5years
Since it's apparently the 1st week of sales and there are 3 more, I'm expecting some good variance and thus here's a thread.

poca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pretty Awesome Gamersgate Sale
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 07:37:29 pm »

I'm of the opinion you shouldn't trust them enough to give them credit card data. I'm not going to post it again but if you've given them your credit card data you should read this:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=76795.msg1959548#msg1959548

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:11:44 pm »

Easily avoidable, just don't use the CC directly, go through a third party (Paypal, Moneybroker, etc). GG accepts them.

poca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 11:17:46 pm »

Easily avoidable, just don't use the CC directly, go through a third party (Paypal, Moneybroker, etc). GG accepts them.

I didn't pay enough attention to them to realize that they accept PayPal so I should probably say that you shouldn't trust them with anything with monetary or sentimental value because they didn't even the first sentence in the Cliff's Notes version of Website Security for Dummies. They appear to have expended absolutely no effort at all protecting your account from the Internet so now would be a good time to ask how you will feel when the GG website and purchases stop working for you.

I'm not an alarmist so I realize you'll mostly suck the loss up, including hearing an imaginary "told you so" from me, and re-buy the games you're still playing as well as the ones that you were trying to make time to play. For the record, my actual delivery of an 'told you so' would have been a sarcastic: who could have seen that coming?  ;D

This isn't easily avoidable but staying away from GG will certainly help.

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
  • My avatar is of whitespace, Not the firefox logo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 01:08:38 am »

I'm going to point this out:

From that post, you said that they sent you your password in the registration email
That does NOT mean the password hasn't been hashed, just that the email is sent using a version of the password PRIOR to it being hashed

If they start sending out passwords in post registration, then I'd be worried

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 01:16:07 am »

I'm going to point this out:

From that post, you said that they sent you your password in the registration email
That does NOT mean the password hasn't been hashed, just that the email is sent using a version of the password PRIOR to it being hashed

No, I agree that email is pretty uncool.  Email is often accessible in plaintext, especially by shoulder surfing, even accidental shoulder surfing.  (Let's picture a shared dorm room for example.)  If I type in my password in a password-protected field--where it shows up as ***s--it had damn well better NOT EVER show up on my screen in plaintext!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 01:50:36 am »

Not to mention if someone gains access to your account and you store all your passwords in there for reminders will result in a huge "OOPS!"

poca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 02:27:36 am »

The link, "Forgot password," under the registration box takes you to a page titled "Request Password."

http://www.gamersgate.com/account/requestpw

The URI ends with "requestpw." There is a single box on that page with a title of "REQUEST PASSWORD." The inside of the box bolds "Password Retrieval" and asks for your email address.  Sounds to me like you should be worried.   ???

Just to be thorough, I actually requested my password and was shocked to find that they did not send me my password!   :-[

To quote absolutely nobody on the Internet  ;D, I was wrong about this:

...they didn't even the first sentence in the Cliff's Notes version of Website Security for Dummies.

I actually can't claim they don't hash their passwords. I still don't trust them enough to actually do business with them but I also don't feel the duty to keep other people from taking that chance.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 07:48:34 am »

The link, "Forgot password," under the registration box takes you to a page titled "Request Password."

http://www.gamersgate.com/account/requestpw

The URI ends with "requestpw." There is a single box on that page with a title of "REQUEST PASSWORD." The inside of the box bolds "Password Retrieval" and asks for your email address.  Sounds to me like you should be worried.   ???

Just to be thorough, I actually requested my password and was shocked to find that they did not send me my password!   :-[

To quote absolutely nobody on the Internet  ;D, I was wrong about this:

...they didn't even the first sentence in the Cliff's Notes version of Website Security for Dummies.

I actually can't claim they don't hash their passwords. I still don't trust them enough to actually do business with them but I also don't feel the duty to keep other people from taking that chance.
Honestly after a couple years of using gamersgate and almost no problems I'd say just use common internet security whenever you put information and you're fine. Then again, I rarely get viruses and always do a scan before putting in any credit card information and personal info into my keyboard or otherwise. There are also plenty of websites which send you your password during registration for your own purposes, though I do understand irritation at being sent it in plain text.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 01:53:34 am »

This sale is getting huge...and promises 3 more weeks of steep discounting.  Strategy first just dumped a ton of games into the sale.  Lots of games you would not otherwise buy but at $2.50 to $5 bucks a pop...hard to say no.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne