Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Volcanoes not very useful?  (Read 979 times)

Unreal_One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Volcanoes not very useful?
« on: March 08, 2011, 05:18:08 pm »

In all the 31.21 forts I have generated, the volcano hit the caverns and ends up with the top of the volcano being at the same height as the magma sea. The pipe still rises to many z-levels above the surrounding area, but the actual magma is hard to access. Is there any way to prevent this while still having a cavern layer in world gen?

(this time in the right section)

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: Volcanoes not very useful?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 09:21:41 pm »

I have never had this happen. Ever.

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing Since 2006, One Fortress At A Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 10:05:41 pm »

Hm, well, world generation has its quirks sometimes.

I recommended generating a new world. It's unlikely that your problem would occur again, but post back if it does. :D

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 12:42:49 am »

I'm playing a .21 map right now with two volcanoes on it, one of which goes all the way to the surface and the other of which goes to the first cavern level, with magma all the way up both. (On a 3x3, with sand - turning up volcanism is awesome.  :D ) So it's definitely possible to get proper volcanoes in the new version.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 06:13:26 pm »

You drop didn't generate a "bottom layer" if your going with custom map parameters, I made some worlds without it to help increase fps but it meant all the volcanoes are broken (as in all the magma is at the magma sea level and the tube is empty), so in other words always generate a "bottom layer".
Ullrich cancels Work: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.