Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pressure Plates?  (Read 717 times)

Lesseps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pressure Plates?
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:25:20 am »

Hello there. I noticed my pressure place do not trigger today. they set to 6000 (goblins+) and they connected to pitfall trap bridge, but goblins (5) passed two lines of plates and they didnt work. Whats wrong ?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Pressure Plates?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:26:35 am »

They probably dodged the traps?  ???

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 09:27:36 am »

There is time delay between when a bridge is triggered and when it actually retracts and it seems there is a weight limit over which drawbridges no longer, well, draw.
Memento Mori

Lesseps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 09:30:05 am »

well the thing is everything worked fine on previous loaded game. 6 goblins were thrown down from single bridge. And now pressure plates just didnt trigger. I know that's 100% not because of weight cause I got 2 bridges covering one pit and one of the bridges almost always retracts being empty with no gobos. and now it didnt ( Is there such thing as 'dodge' the plate ?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 09:44:11 am »

Unusually skinny goblins?  Individuals of a species can vary from the normal adult size.  If an average adult goblin is size 60000, a very short/skinny adult goblin might be size 35000 or so.  When I make a pressure plate to catch invaders, I always set the trigger weight as low as it will go.  Oh, you should also be aware that the game only shows you the first four digits of the weight setting, so when it says 6000, it might actually be set for 60000.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lesseps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:57:39 am »

so setting it for 60000 (6000 ingame) is a mistake? cause a lot of species will pass ?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:02:13 am »

Yes, you should set it as low as it will let you, so really scrawny goblins can't sneak in.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lesseps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 10:53:37 am »

What about my pets? will they trigger plates even if my civilians set to trigger not?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 11:02:59 am »

No, if the pressure plates aren't set to be triggered by civilians, your pets won't trigger them either.  Unless a pet falls unconscious or gets webbed on a pressure plate, but that's true of your dwarves as well.

Lesseps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 11:27:49 am »

Thanks a lot !