Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs wont go underground? A.K.A. WTF, ramps?  (Read 1602 times)

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfs wont go underground? A.K.A. WTF, ramps?
« on: March 09, 2011, 07:15:35 am »

I just embarked on a new site, absolutely perfect for my needs. I set my miners digging and they get to it no problem. Once they've dug out an area large enough to move everyone in, I set a food stockpile down there and a garbage zone and set everything that isn't food to be dumped there. I wait for a little while, nothing happens. The dwarves that aren't miners wont go underground. I set some building orders down there and they wont go and build it! What's going on?

EDIT: My miners then got stuck underground and nearly died of thirst as the booze was on the surface and they were too stupid to walk up the ramps to get to it. However, I then told them to dig a straight stairwell to the surface, which they did, and this fixed the problem. It would seem that dwarfs hate ramps rather than being underground. This has never happened before, though  :-\
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 07:21:18 am by Chattox »
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs wont go underground?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 07:23:42 am »

Disconnected stairs/ramps, possibly. Note that ramps can only be used to climb on top of a wall they are next to, not floors. Even if the floor is supported by a wall that is next to the ramp as well. That often causes problems if you are not paying attention.

Are you getting any job cancellation announcements, and are you miners still getting up to surface?

EDIT: In that case you are almost certainly just not understanding how ramps are supposed to work or missing something.

A design like this is not viable:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Needs to have a wall with open space above it next to the ramp. They can't be used to climb directly on a floor with no solid wall underneath.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 07:30:34 am by Cotes »
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs wont go underground? A.K.A. WTF, ramps?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 07:31:34 am »

Neither of those, the problem was fixed by a stairwell, but before that the miners were stuck in the entrance hall, dying of thirst. Meanwhile the other dwarfs stood around on the surface, wondering where their friends had gone.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 07:34:37 am »

But the problem was not (likely, anyway) that the dwarves were too stupid to use ramps, but you making bad ramp design. Check your ramps carefully.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

fox967

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 07:52:18 am »

Ive had problems with ramps, too. For some reason the dwarfs would not use them to go up/down.

It wasnt anything complex, either. It was just a corridor with a ramp at the end, that led to a corridor (going the same way) on the lower Z level.
The strange thing is, after i learned that the dwarfs were having problems, i dug another corridor, the exact same way as before, and they used it fine. There was nothing that i could see that
should have caused them problems.
Quote from: Argoroth
Quote from: NRN_R_Sumo1
at this point I'd wager on it being either a penis or a beard.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Of course it's either a penis or a beard!

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 07:54:49 am »

Yep, definitely disconnected ramps. The ramp must lead to a wall on the same z-level. One z-level above needs to be dug out. You probably cut down one of the walls and then everything became wonky.

Don't worry, Chattox, this happens to everyone once in a while. At least you got the miners back out before they died and left you on the surface, without any picks.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 08:11:42 am »

Indeed. My most common screw up is accidentally assigning tiles beneath ones assigned for channeling for mining, which makes the miners remove the ramps behind them as they dig tunnels. There's actually a risk of killing them in process when you have a huge sprawling mining complex and a lot else on your mind - You just plain don't check the area or the miners often enough to notice in time.

Still, what fox described there is strange. I quite often end up making spiral (or rather, helix) staircases through caverns, which leads to a plentiful mix of constructed and dug ramps, walls and floors. You'd think I'd come across any possible bugs... Then again, maybe I'll try starting one as a 1 tile wide staircase next time, rather than a 3 tile wide. It is possible I just don't notice since there's always three ramps per level (when I'm done anyway), making the dwarves just walk around the bugged ones.

fox967

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:53:42 am »

Indeed. My most common screw up is accidentally assigning tiles beneath ones assigned for channeling for mining, which makes the miners remove the ramps behind them as they dig tunnels. There's actually a risk of killing them in process when you have a huge sprawling mining complex and a lot else on your mind - You just plain don't check the area or the miners often enough to notice in time.

Still, what fox described there is strange. I quite often end up making spiral (or rather, helix) staircases through caverns, which leads to a plentiful mix of constructed and dug ramps, walls and floors. You'd think I'd come across any possible bugs... Then again, maybe I'll try starting one as a 1 tile wide staircase next time, rather than a 3 tile wide. It is possible I just don't notice since there's always three ramps per level (when I'm done anyway), making the dwarves just walk around the bugged ones.

Heh, maybe it was just me, i dont know. But i checked all possible things (that i could think of) that stopped the dwarfs using the ramp. I even tried creating a squad and stationing them in the corridor, but still they didnt use it. Its possible i just fecked up somehow. Who knows? :P
Quote from: Argoroth
Quote from: NRN_R_Sumo1
at this point I'd wager on it being either a penis or a beard.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Of course it's either a penis or a beard!

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 12:10:41 pm »

I think what I did wrong was having the passage go back on itself, underground. Basically it meant there were no walls for the bottom ramp to lead onto, just floors. I had no idea they needed walls.

Don't worry, I've secured my retard hat to my head and it shall remain there for the rest of the day. :P

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 02:01:25 pm »

I ran into this same issue with my glorious sloped main stairwell.  The problem is, Ramps are directional, and only accept people going up one way (as you can discover in Adventure mode)... but they don't tell you which direction they are...
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 02:35:59 pm »

It's a pity that functional and non-functional ramps look identical.  Ramps retain the same appearance regardless of where and how much connectivity they have.  It's not like the slopes in Sim City where you can tell the difference between edge-connected and corner-connected slopes.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 02:37:33 pm »

His ramp could be perfectly fine.

There has been several times for me that dwarf pathfinding would just break and make areas that are accesable inaccesable, normally fixed by adding another path. One such example for my moat:
x = up down stairs
d = down stairs
u = up stairs
- = walls
*  = normal ground

top:
*d         *
******** (main path accross)
*d         *
levels below:
--         -
--         -
-x         -
--         -
--         -
--         -
-x         -
--         -
--         -
final level:
--****-
--****-
-u****-
--****-
--****-
--****-
-u****-
--****-
--****-

Then randomly 2 years in half way towards the bottum of my moat the stairs became unusable by dwarves.

Or much simpler channeled into a dryed out murky pool (places a ramp),
*r
So I could close of the edge with walls which i breached to keep my moat straight and fill the pool up again, the dwarves built 2 of the walls, and then the entire murky pool became inaccesable till I built another route into it.
--------------
--********- (built)               
-r********* (inaccesable)
--********-(built)
--------------
Ullrich cancels Work: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.