Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Horizontal bars  (Read 909 times)

EspritFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Horizontal bars
« on: March 08, 2011, 01:21:57 pm »

Will they, placed at the feeding bottom tile of a magma-pumpstack, prevent fun creatures to come from the magma sea while still allowing my pumps to pump?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Horizontal bars
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 02:24:55 pm »

It will prevent them from swimming through it. BUT they can spawn at every tile that has 7/7 magma IIRC so you'll need to do something fancy to keep the lava level low

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 03:05:46 pm »

It will prevent them from swimming through it. BUT they can spawn at every tile that has 7/7 magma IIRC so you'll need to do something fancy to keep the lava level low
Really?  Do you have any sources relating to this?  It just seems very odd, since no other creatures 'spawn' in that sense, all creatures arrive from the edge of the map, and so should the magma creatures.  In my experience, at least in 40d, magma creatures do not even arrive that way, they start on the map when you embark and once they dead, they're gone forever.  I don't think any magma creatures will 'spawn' in the way you describe.

This of course only talking about 'normal' creatures, critters are a whole different bag but they won't be stopped by bars either way.  Creatures will be stopped just fine tho, just so long as your bars are magma safe.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 11:04:23 pm »

When Toady introduced the underground caverns, all sorts of FUN ensued. Under ground creatures migrate(Magma too). And can spawn at any edges. Which really adds to the FUN when you build a fortification on a wall overlooking a cavern, and a blind ogre spawns on the wrong side of the fortification.
 This actually did occur, unless the Civilization of Blind Ogres have transporters. I was bored checking to see if my archers were on station, when the ogre materialized. I am surprised he was not wielding a phaser
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 04:25:35 am »

Really?  Do you have any sources relating to this?  It just seems very odd, since no other creatures 'spawn' in that sense, all creatures arrive from the edge of the map, and so should the magma creatures.  In my experience, at least in 40d, magma creatures do not even arrive that way, they start on the map when you embark and once they dead, they're gone forever.  I don't think any magma creatures will 'spawn' in the way you describe.

This of course only talking about 'normal' creatures, critters are a whole different bag but they won't be stopped by bars either way.  Creatures will be stopped just fine tho, just so long as your bars are magma safe.

Ok, I have no idea why I said that, I must have misread something earlier. What I should have said: The magma level at the bars shouldn't be 7/7 becasue magma crearues can than swim through it. Of course this doesn't matter casue after rereading your post I see you use pumps and AFAI creaturs cannot swim through pumps

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 06:06:26 am »

Ok, I have no idea why I said that, I must have misread something earlier. What I should have said: The magma level at the bars shouldn't be 7/7 becasue magma crearues can than swim through it. Of course this doesn't matter casue after rereading your post I see you use pumps and AFAI creaturs cannot swim through pumps
Again I'm going to have to be a pain in the ass and ask, do you have any sources on this?  Creatures generally can't swim, walk or fly through bars, unless they are also building destroyers and destroy the bars in the process.  Can bars even be destroyed by building destroyers?  I am not sure.  But I very much doubt magma creatures can swim through the bars.

They could be pushed through by water pressure, that much is true, but since magma does not pressurize in the same way as water that is not a concern here.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 06:53:04 am »

He's talking about horizontal bars, not vertical. I.e. the ones you build on floor. And I believe the important and unanswered question here is if you can pump from a tile that is covered by horizontal bars.

Also, doesn't the "7/7 fortification tile becomes passable" bug only apply to fortifications anyway, not grates or bars?
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 08:29:49 am »

He's talking about horizontal bars, not vertical. I.e. the ones you build on floor. And I believe the important and unanswered question here is if you can pump from a tile that is covered by horizontal bars.
Right, disregard what I said about water pressure entirely.  As for bars, I seem to recall horizontal grates blocking pumps up so I imagine bars might do much the same if placed immediately next to the pump.

Edit: fixed me messing up quotes.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:37:05 am by j0nas »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 09:03:13 am »

Or just get a military and forget all this bs

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 09:09:05 am »

Or just get a military and forget all this bs
Military is pretty broken still. It's understandable that many players don't want to rely on it all that much. I mostly stick to archers myself, who get trained without anything too convoluted or risky just by having them take shots at wild-life and melee-invaders behind walls.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 01:28:01 pm »

I had a pump drawing magma off the surface of a magma pipe through a floor grate surrounded by constructed walls. There were a lot of forgotten beasts in the cavern, but they couldn't path in and just milled around, including the ones that swam in the magma pipe.

I don't think building destroyers can attack a grate (or likely bars) from underneath, and even if they can, they don't know how to path to it.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 01:33:15 pm »

Yes, pumps work through floorgrates perfectly fine. I use them all the time for my pump intakes as defense against building destroyer critters getting into my plumbing. I haven't actually used floorbars for that purpose yet, but I'd assume they'd work the same way.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 01:40:40 pm »

Pumps through grates on the floor work fine, and are AFAIK the only way to make something absolutely immune to a building destroyer. A building destroyer can only destroy things on the same level, but the floor grate blocks it so it cannot destroy the floor grate.

Some types of creatures may be able to pass through floor grates, such as creatures made out of steam, but if you get an FB made out of steam then it will probably be slain by a random kitten so it isn't that much of a threat.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 02:41:59 pm »

I've got an FB made out of ash that's been swimming around for 4 years...  ash... swimming...