Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Performance increase  (Read 1222 times)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Performance increase
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 05:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Greiger:
<STRONG>Try my rig with 512 MB and 2.16 GHz.  20 FPS at my last fort...with less than 40 residents...</STRONG>

1.4ghz P4 with PC133 SD-RAM. Slow doesn't begin to describe it. When I got this thing, broadband internet was that rare new phenomena that only the few chosen could get-- And it was outdated then!

Thankfully, I suppose, DF isn't a game that actually becomes 100% unplayable with horrible specs; just less fun. I assume you could play the game at 1FPS and it would still *work*. Once my population increases past 16 I'll tell you if it does. x_x

Romantic Warrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 01:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Arven:
<STRONG>I think you're better off with a single core as I don't think dual cores are supported yet.</STRONG>

If the only thing you use your computer for is word processing, surfing the web, and DF, that'll work fine. Nothin' wrong with that. But most video games made recently are optimized for dual and quad core processors. They help quite a bit. You can also dedicate one core to DF and another to downloadin' yer pronz, if you just can't do without.

Besides, the background noise in Windows can use dual cores, which can't hurt.

[ February 17, 2008: Message edited by: Romantic Warrior ]

Dwarf Fortress and the Abstract Truth.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 09:46:00 am »

Btw, I know Toady has different priorities right now, but out of curiosity, how difficult is it in general to make something use dual cores? I mean, from a programming point of view? I guess it's easier if you have things going on that can be clearly separated and don't need to talk to each other much?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 10:28:00 am »

making something that uses dual core is not too hard. However making something that was optimized for single core run dual (or, god forbid, multi-core) can be a big pain in the behind.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 [2]