Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: No flux?  (Read 1715 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No flux?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 06:59:13 pm »

In my current .21 world, I searched for Flux: Yes (plus some other settings) and it found a few dozen sites. But when I looked at them in the embark screen, almost none of them showed that it had flux (and I checked all the biomes). I went ahead and embarked on one of the "non-flux" sites, and immediately saw visible outcroppings of marble. When I dug down, I had a couple of layers of soil, then hit mica and other metamorphic and/or igneous layers. Nothing sedimentary (so no coal and so far no iron, either :-\ ).

I suspect that the finder actually finds sites with flux stones, but the embark screen uses different criteria for when to say flux is there. Didn't it show sedimentary layers instead of flux in earlier versions? If so, it may be saying there is flux only when there is a sedimentary layer, so marble (metamorphic) doesn't trigger the flux label.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 07:34:56 pm »

In my current .21 world, I searched for Flux: Yes (plus some other settings) and it found a few dozen sites. But when I looked at them in the embark screen, almost none of them showed that it had flux (and I checked all the biomes). I went ahead and embarked on one of the "non-flux" sites, and immediately saw visible outcroppings of marble. When I dug down, I had a couple of layers of soil, then hit mica and other metamorphic and/or igneous layers. Nothing sedimentary (so no coal and so far no iron, either :-\ ).

I suspect that the finder actually finds sites with flux stones, but the embark screen uses different criteria for when to say flux is there. Didn't it show sedimentary layers instead of flux in earlier versions? If so, it may be saying there is flux only when there is a sedimentary layer, so marble (metamorphic) doesn't trigger the flux label.

Keith
Not so sure. My current embark has non-flux sedimentary (rock salt) and marble deeper down. The site finder accurately stated it had flux, but the embark screen did not list flux at all.

Has the flux indicator on the embark screen been seen at all since .31.20?

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 10:56:27 pm »

Yes. I embarked on one with a white "Flux Stone" between "Shallow metals" and "Deep metals" on a .21 world.

I haven't dug it out though to see if it lied.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 11:01:28 pm »

I have been doing some experimentation on this, and it seems that the embark screen is losing track of stuff when there is a high mineral concentration.  I found that if I set mineral concentration extremely low, the flux tag is pretty much 100% reliable, but if I generate a world with a very high mineral concentration the flux indicator does not show at all.  This also seems to effect the aquifer indicator as well.  I modded my minerals so that the only stones with the aquifer tag were coal and lignite and went looking around at the finder and places where I had embarked and found coal did not show the aquifer tag at all.  I then tried another tack and removed aquifer from those 2 and added the tag to jet instead, and ended up with the same results.  One would have thought that jet being so common that the embark screen would have shown aquifers everywhere, but not a single area showed, and the finder couldnt even find them in this case.  I am not entirely sure what is going on here, but it is definitely buggy  ;D
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 11:03:02 pm »

This happened to me as well. I embarked in a 31.20 generated site i found manually, 4x4, single biome, with a river, shallow/deep metals (hematite, lignite, gold, tetrahedrite), listing flux in the 'Choose your fortress location' screen. It has said minerals and layers of claystone, gabbro, phyllite, diorite, granite, quartzite, but no trace of flux whatsoever. At first i thought that for some reason the site profile detected quartzite as flux, go figure.

In case you're still looking for a version of dfhack working specifically with 31.20 http://github.com/downloads/peterix/dfhack/dfhack-bin-0.5.3.zip
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 11:05:56 pm by Kard »
Pages: 1 [2]