Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boiling Oil  (Read 2785 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
Boiling Oil
« on: May 12, 2011, 03:24:50 am »

You know..we can make oil..why can't we make some kind of boiling oil trap? Sometimes we end up with like 50 enemies standing around outside our main gate. It would be nice if there was someway to rig some kind of boiling oil trap to attack them, or something else. yes, I'm sure I could pump lava up, rig an obsidian flood gate and just open it on them, but choices people!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Boiling Oil
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 04:22:27 am »

This should go in either Modding, or in Suggestions.  On that note, a suggestion is your call, but a material type can be made similar to dwarven syrup (or sand or booze or blood, doesn't matter).  This material can have a contact syndrome for blisters and swelling and bleeding, and can be dropped on enemies.  Placing a container somewhere, and then d-b-d dumping it (as opposed to k-d) will dump the contents on the ground and the container will be taken to the garbage dump.  Doing this, I have once before coated my fortress in dwarven sugar and dwarven syrup, and then accidentally coated in in dwarf blood two years later.  Also doing this, you can place a substance on a floor tile or creatively drop it or something.

As a better approach, you could attempt a temperature bomb, by routing magma under a floor, the temperature of the above-layer is warmed.  If a certain substance turns to liquid at magma-floor temperature but is solid at room temperature, you can reliably drop an object from an above hatch, have it hit, and liquefy into a contact syndrome-bearing contaminant.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 06:51:56 am »

If by "boiling oil trap" you meant enough liquid to flow then you'll need to wait for Toady to get to coding in flow for any arbitrary liquid.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 06:58:13 am »

This should go in either Modding, or in Suggestions.  On that note, a suggestion is your call, but a material type can be made similar to dwarven syrup (or sand or booze or blood, doesn't matter).  This material can have a contact syndrome for blisters and swelling and bleeding, and can be dropped on enemies.  Placing a container somewhere, and then d-b-d dumping it (as opposed to k-d) will dump the contents on the ground and the container will be taken to the garbage dump.  Doing this, I have once before coated my fortress in dwarven sugar and dwarven syrup, and then accidentally coated in in dwarf blood two years later.  Also doing this, you can place a substance on a floor tile or creatively drop it or something.

As a better approach, you could attempt a temperature bomb, by routing magma under a floor, the temperature of the above-layer is warmed.  If a certain substance turns to liquid at magma-floor temperature but is solid at room temperature, you can reliably drop an object from an above hatch, have it hit, and liquefy into a contact syndrome-bearing contaminant.

Something about a woman who reliably knows how to kill goblins via modded-in diseases is...attractive.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 09:12:32 am »

Something about a woman who reliably knows how to kill goblins via modded-in diseases is...attractive.

That sounds suspisciously like it's against the Human Conventions of 190.  And I'm sure the Elves would completely up in arms about it...

Sounds Dwarfy.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 09:33:03 am »

You could drop booze onto the entrance, then light it. The booze would make a fire explosion :))

Downside is that the only thing it'll do is light things on fire, no giblets.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 09:36:29 am »

You could drop booze onto the entrance, then light it. The booze would make a fire explosion :))

I wonder if it is possible to mod in gunpowder.
Is it possible to simulate shockwave from an explosion through some kind of syndrom-causing gas?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 09:44:35 am »

I wonder if it is possible to mod in gunpowder.
Is it possible to simulate shockwave from an explosion through some kind of syndrom-causing gas?
Cave-in area attack is the closest thing.

If you gave the bleeding syndrome this:

SEV:100
START:1
PEAK:5

Then you would have dwarves that have all their blood come out at once  :P

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 10:19:54 am »

You can always dump magma, which is much the same.  Also dropping barrels of booze from high up and lighting it on fire with magma and then cooling it with water would work too.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 11:30:02 am »

Are people looking for the Bonfire mod? All this talk of merely setting things on fire has already been done.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 11:34:50 am »

Are people looking for the Bonfire mod? All this talk of merely setting things on fire has already been done.
I'm pretty sure you can boil water with the Bonfire mod, too.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 11:35:04 am »

Booze is not explosive.  Not even in real life.  As has been detailed elsewhere (I think in the suggestions forum) booze is very non-flammable.  Modern beer is around 5% alcohol by volume, and historic booze would have been closer to 2% and much more of a thirst quenching drink rather than a shitfaced drunk drink.  You can test this yourself my attempting to light a bottle of beer on fire (use one of those grill lighters with the flame on a stick, just in case...).  Some alcohol IS flammable though, but only high proof stuff like vodka or maybe whiskey.  That's why you don't make a molotov cocktail with ale.  You make it with vodka.

In DF terms, booze is still not explosive, and never has been.  It does catch on fire, as any flaming and thirsty dwarf will demonstrate, and the wooden barrels are flammable, but the actual booze will boil softly and enshroud your foe in a soothingly mushroom scented mist.  The only possible weaponization, was when steam was hot enough to be lethal and steam cookers were common.  A booze steam cooker may have been possible at that time.  Either way, booze is a rather no-threatening substance.

Coincidentally, you can give booze a contact syndrome that causes hard liver failure, and spread booze over your hallway via the method I posted above.  Drinking booze does not actually put you in contact with the booze, technically, there are no ingestable syndromes (yet, perhaps with curses), and you can always make dwarves immune to this particular syndrome.

Goblin Crossbowman has Dwarven Ale on his feet.
Goblin Crossbowman is suffering from Consumption.
Goblin Crossbowman is suffering critical liver necrosis.
Goblin crossbowman has been struck down!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 11:47:27 am »

Booze is not explosive.  Not even in real life.  As has been detailed elsewhere (I think in the suggestions forum) booze is very non-flammable.  Modern beer is around 5% alcohol by volume, and historic booze would have been closer to 2% and much more of a thirst quenching drink rather than a shitfaced drunk drink.  You can test this yourself my attempting to light a bottle of beer on fire (use one of those grill lighters with the flame on a stick, just in case...).  Some alcohol IS flammable though, but only high proof stuff like vodka or maybe whiskey.  That's why you don't make a molotov cocktail with ale.  You make it with vodka.

In DF terms, booze is still not explosive, and never has been.  It does catch on fire, as any flaming and thirsty dwarf will demonstrate, and the wooden barrels are flammable, but the actual booze will boil softly and enshroud your foe in a soothingly mushroom scented mist.  The only possible weaponization, was when steam was hot enough to be lethal and steam cookers were common.  A booze steam cooker may have been possible at that time.  Either way, booze is a rather no-threatening substance.

Coincidentally, you can give booze a contact syndrome that causes hard liver failure, and spread booze over your hallway via the method I posted above.  Drinking booze does not actually put you in contact with the booze, technically, there are no ingestable syndromes (yet, perhaps with curses), and you can always make dwarves immune to this particular syndrome.

Goblin Crossbowman has Dwarven Ale on his feet.
Goblin Crossbowman is suffering from Consumption.
Goblin Crossbowman is suffering critical liver necrosis.
Goblin crossbowman has been struck down!
lol.

Goblin is suffering from lead poisoning!
Goblin is suffering from radiation sickness!
Goblin is suffering from low-oxygen environment!
Goblin is suffering from methane!
Goblin is suffering from liver cancer!
Goblin is suffering from cholera!
Goblin is suffering from kidney stones!

Goblin has been struck down.