Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I make a second RTD?

No, your current RTD sucks ass.
- 3 (18.8%)
No, you'll kill yourself and your festering corpse will kill your computer.
- 1 (6.3%)
Yes, but keep it simple.
- 3 (18.8%)
Yes, variety is the spice of life.
- 9 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Maintaining 2 RTDs  (Read 1376 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Maintaining 2 RTDs
« on: March 23, 2011, 12:24:50 am »

Recently I've been thinking a lot about making a second RTD. Mainly so I don't get sick to death of writing the one I'm currently doing and partly because I have other cool ideas and it looks like my current RTD will hit 700 pages easily before it finishes based on current plot progression.

On the negative side time is always against the writer, and running two RTDs may burn both out before they complete. Not something I want to do at all.

So I wanted some community feedback before embarking. (This is your only warning, do you want to embark here y/n?)

Thoughts? Tips? Tricks?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maintaining 2 RTDs
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 12:34:57 am »

Always up for a good RtD.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 12:56:35 am »

I say go for it. Shackling yourself to the notion that you can't do this other awesome thing until you've completed your current project is not healthy for said project. As in, getting in the way of inheritance not healthy.

Besides which, if you enjoy both, you probably won't have a problem updating both. If you don't enjoy both, it'll probably be the unhealthier/less awesome one to suffer for it, and that was likely to happen anyway.

Also, I'm also planning another RTD. This isn't really relevant, other than to show just how little concern I have for the prospect, but I feel like mentioning it because it's taking forever to plot out. ****ing skills man, how do they work?!

Also ravening demonic power. But that one I've mostly got worked out.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 01:01:55 am »

Go ahead, just as long as it doesn't burden you. I like the current one and I'd hate to see it go bad. Also, reserve me a spot and PM me if you do start another because I don't really trust in my ability to get in on time.

Anyway, what kind of RTD will it be?

Also, I'm also planning another RTD. This isn't really relevant, other than to show just how little concern I have for the prospect, but I feel like mentioning it because it's taking forever to plot out. ****ing skills man, how do they work?!

Also ravening demonic power. But that one I've mostly got worked out.
Good luck on your planning RTD.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 01:04:58 am »

I don't see why not. The only problem that could come up is that you get confused and mix up between the two. And considering that even I haven't done so even though I'm already engaged in a handful of mafia games...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 01:06:08 am »

Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 01:46:57 am »

Go ahead, just as long as it doesn't burden you. I like the current one and I'd hate to see it go bad. Also, reserve me a spot and PM me if you do start another because I don't really trust in my ability to get in on time.

I don't know I'm stuck between,

Contemporary, with magic.

And Fantasy, with magic.

I know, stunning difference there. Both based off short stories I wrote.

Difficult to explain without hitting with WoT.

Fakeedit: Well okay, guess I'll explain as well as I am able.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 01:52:27 am »

Imperfect seems better in flexibility...

WoD seems... blandish.

I'm leaning towards Imperfect.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 02:17:17 am »

It was less complete, never actually finished that story. The actually lore on Tiamat was too weird.
---

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 05:36:54 am »

Imperfect does sound better. Sounds far more open-ended in terms of both player abilites, goals, and advancement, and in enemies, locations, plots, and whatnot.

How to put this... Imperfect sounds like a Greek epic, or a movie of one. There might be kind of a goal, but who the hell knows what'll happen along the way. WoD sounds more like Ghostbusters the TV show if they were vampires. There might be an overarching plot, but a lot of it's just hiding out so no one finds you, until some demon pops up and everyone goes to pummel it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 08:57:27 pm »

Oops. I accidently voted for "your current RTD sucks ass". Sorry.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 09:52:52 pm »

There are surprising parallels between skills and magnets.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 10:02:13 pm »

There are surprising parallels between skills and magnets.
MIRACLES MAN.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU