Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stubborn tower caps in awkward places!  (Read 1594 times)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stubborn tower caps in awkward places!
« on: March 06, 2011, 09:16:17 pm »

Alright, that didn't come out quite right. Ahem.

Anyway, new fort under .19 (boo for grazing animals, hooray for not needing irrigation!), dug down 50 levels and into the underground water sources for my well, built it, and--Urist McThirsty cancels drink: Well dry. Wait, what?

K, mark the spot the well is on, zoom down all those levels, and find out that, somehow, on the same level as the water--not above it!--a tower cap sprouted up. What is, I don't even... Of course I don't have any amphibious woodcutters.

Okay, so dig a second well into the spot beside it, channel down, at least I have one working well with eight miles of rope trying to accommodate three dozen dwarves crowding around it because they all have some elven considerably undwarven phobia of the brewery.

So, now that I'm done spewing my frustration forth, how do I get rid of it? Can I crush it under a cave-in? Is there a way to make flat ground near enough to chop it down? Do I set a baby on fire and let it play around the well?
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Stubborn tower caps in awkward places!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 09:19:19 pm »

My vote is flaming baby, but yeah...  Drain it somehow, apply paved roads to the area under the floor, or a stockpile, both prevent tree growth, or better yet, make a deeper well.  2 levels of water can't be influenced by trees, and it makes "clean water" instead of "muddy water".  If you dig under your well, you can cause a cave-in and get a 3 deep well.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:35:44 pm »

Cave-in, pave.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 09:42:47 pm »

Anyway, new fort under .19 (boo for grazing animals, hooray for not needing irrigation!)
Saywha?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 09:44:13 pm »

Anyway, new fort under .19 (boo for grazing animals, hooray for not needing irrigation!)
Saywha?
Underground farms on soil aren't supposed to need irrigation, but in .18, they did.

Or something like that. I forget exactly.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 09:44:37 pm »

Any underground soil tiles don't need to be irrigated.  For my maps, that means the first 5 levels under the surface as safe for grazing.  Deeper if I cave in some soil to the desired level.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 09:52:19 pm »

Any underground soil tiles don't need to be irrigated.  For my maps, that means the first 5 levels under the surface as safe for grazing.  Deeper if I cave in some soil to the desired level.

How do you get 5 layers of soil?  The best I have ever been able to get is 4, aside from the very first release of 2010, which for some reason I was able to generate maps with like 20 layers of soil lol.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 09:56:28 pm »

Build a floor/bridge/whatever out to the tree then cut it down.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 10:19:45 pm »

Maybe it is 4.  I dunno, but rock is always 5 layers down.  I even have a quick macro the dig 5 layers down.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 10:36:42 pm »

Build a floor/bridge/whatever out to the tree then cut it down.

The tree isn't on solid ground, it's in the water. Everything around it is 7/7. It's beside a pillar of stone, but the up/down stairs directly next to the tree are flooded.

I'm inexperienced with cave-ins, since I generally try to avoid them. They always seemed to happen 10 z-levels up and directly above Urist McConcussion's hospital bed. How do I cave enough area around it to 1) give me enough dry area to channel another couple z-levels or 2) cut down or simple smash the tree?
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 12:08:37 am »

What happens if you build a screw-pump on the level above the water to drain the water from around the tree?  Does the tree prevent the intake of water?  Another idea would be to pump water from the tile ADJACENT to the tree, and then try to construct a path down to chop it, since you can't stand on tree-tiles.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 12:40:14 pm »

Did no one think to dig out the layer underneath the water? Trees can't grow if they layer under them is removed. Should be easier then draining the entire place and then refilling it. Alternatively dig a new lake, pave it, fill it, and then put your well there. Of course if you have your eye set on the old place.... pumps.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 12:42:26 pm by TheyTarget »
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz