Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: watch kittens  (Read 689 times)

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
watch kittens
« on: March 06, 2011, 09:50:15 am »

So, I was thinking of setting up watch kittens. I would enclose kittens in small glass rooms throughout the land. When goblin ambushes would come, the kittens would see them coming. Would this work? Can dwarves and animals see ambushes trough windows?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 09:52:16 am by kawaiidesunekochan »

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: watch kittens
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 09:57:28 am »

Yep.

Edit:
To be more helpful, check out the replies in this thread related to this topic, starting with this post.  (click the top of the reply to be teleported there)
Generally, my external construction consists of watchtowers.  Small 3x3 rooms built on stills, with windows above-ground and no direct access (have to rebuild stairs every time you want to access it).  This makes them immune to building destroyers but still able to detect enemies when manned by some animal.  As for above ground in general, I do a small walled area (like 20x20) with a butcher, tanner, some refuse stocks, and some finished good stocks, to quickly burn through any sudden animal slaughter and have my caravan-packers close to the depot.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: watch kittens
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 10:02:46 am »

I don't bother with protecting the kittens. The bastards reproduce faster than goblins can kill them. I also use cavy pupps.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.