Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My miner refuses to die  (Read 689 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
My miner refuses to die
« on: March 05, 2011, 08:22:12 pm »

My game has tempature turned off, and my miner fell into magma. I thought he would burn, then thought he would drown, but he's learning swimming faster than the magma is killing him! he'll die of starvation at this point. Magma is at 7/7 by the way.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: My miner refuses to die
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 08:33:03 pm »

Yeah, um, if temperature is off, how will he burn?  This should be simple, why do people seem to get confused by this?

Also, the rate of burning in magma is such that the average dwarf will become a dabbling swimmer before they die.  Think about that for a moment...  Either give him a place to climb up, turn temperature on so he'll burn, or wait.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 08:36:05 pm »

I knew that magma didn't burn when tempature was off. I just thought this was kinda funny. He later drowned, and I believe it was because he fell unconcious.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 08:55:42 pm »

Buoyancy isn't considered in game physics, but realistically something made of organic matter would never sink in magma. Organic matter is mostly water and magma mostly rock, so water would float in rock just as readily as rock sinks in water ;D

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 08:59:58 pm »

Buoyancy isn't considered in game physics, but realistically something made of organic matter would never sink in magma. Organic matter is mostly water and magma mostly rock, so water would float in rock just as readily as rock sinks in water ;D

Yep. Realistically something organic would turn to ash in contact with magma and fly.