Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Happy Coincidence  (Read 776 times)

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Happy Coincidence
« on: March 05, 2011, 05:40:08 pm »

Has anyone else noticed that if you built a straight shaft from your fortress down to the first level of the underground it is always at the ideal splatter height for goblin prisoner of war?

I built my entrance to the underground as a giant corkscrew stairway with an open space in the middle with a gantry at the top so that prisoners wouldn't hit the ramps down, the whole thing is 9 by 9 squares and 15z levels deep.
It's also great for getting shells quickly from snail men.

Half my statues are of goblins falling.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: A Happy Coincidence
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 06:11:25 pm »

Yeah, until a trog runs up your staircase and all you Legendary +5 Dodger military dodge off to their death.  You can tamper this by making hatches in the center tile, which can be linked to a lever and opened for pitting, or closed for safety.  Not as cool as having an empty spiral, but OSCHA will appreciate it.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 06:54:45 pm »

Nonsense! Safety should never be above awesomeness!

Also I only slightly hit the underground and then dug and entrance at the bottom of the stairwell filled with cage traps.

Plus none of my military is worth going to the trouble of installing hand rails

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 07:25:21 pm »

Perhaps, but your Armorsmith going down to use the magma forge, and interrupted by crundle, may be worth it.  Dwarves have big issues with stairs and heights.  Why do you think they live underground?

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 08:11:25 pm »

Perhaps, but your Armorsmith going down to use the magma forge, and interrupted by crundle, may be worth it.  Dwarves have big issues with stairs and heights.  Why do you think they live underground?

I always thought it was because the outside world is bright, loud and disgusting. Though I suppose a Goblin Arena of Death with built in magma-flushing is all of those things, too.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.