Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Magma Water Tower  (Read 1630 times)

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Water Tower
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 07:51:16 am »

And this is where I drop in.

Hydro(andlava)dynamics

All hail Kanddak.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 09:23:25 am »

i seem to remember a thread where someone mentioned suspending a pumpstack deep inside a magma reservoir allows a higher magma pressure for building magma cannons, i'll see if i can drag it out.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 09:44:59 am »

I mentioned that in the first post.  It's the "aimable magma cannon" or such similar.  A submerged pump stack allows for increased pump rate, but is sadly pretty difficult to set up artificially.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 06:21:47 pm »

There's a difference if the drop is more a "packet" of magma, rather than a "curtain".  Your description made me think you were going for a "packet" of magma, filling that ring around the top of your tower and then later dropping only that quantity
Code: [Select]
%%~~~~W
~W~~~~X
WWWWWW
    W
    W
    W
 WWWWW WWW WW
 WWWWW     WW
 WWWWWWWWWWWW
For a 'packet', this would mean
%%    W
~W   
WWWWWW
    W 
    W ~
    W ~
 WWWWW~WWW WW
 WWWWW~~~~~WW
 WWWWWWWWWWWW
versus a solid, pumped curtain
%%~~~~W
~W~~~~~
WWWWWW~
    W ~
    W ~
    W ~   ~
 WWWWW~WWW~WW
 WWWWW~~~~~WW
 WWWWWWWWWWWW
Though I'm not actually sure which end the magma would spread out on in that latter case, around the entry hole or the exit hole.  If the magma were going down a tube rather than freefall, I'm confident the magma would match the above pictures, though.

Edit-Firnagzen's link looks like the post where I got most of this impression from.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 06:24:13 pm by Valkyrie »

EpeeGnome

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TLDR:APPALLING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 06:49:25 pm »

What you'd get with a continuous flow using the side view example setup is this:
%%~~~~W
~W~~~~~
WWWWWW~
    W ~
    W ~
    W~~~~
 WWWWW~WWW WW
 WWWWW~~~~~WW
 WWWWWWWWWWWW
Nothing is forcing the magma to flow up the u-bend, since it can just spread out from where it's dropped. What you need is something like this:
%%~~~~WW
~W~~~~~W
WWWWWW~W
     W~W
     W~W
     W~W  ~
 WWWWW~WWW~WW
 WWWWW~~~~~WW
 WWWWWWWWWWWW
With this setup, when the new tile of magma paths from the pump, the only available place for it is to go up the u-bend, creating pressure. At this point I don't think you're gaining anything by having the reservoir, since the magma will only flow up the u-bend at the speed it's being pumped, no matter how much is in the tank.

The key thing to remember is that pressure is not something that liquids "have," it's a result created by the liquid's attempt to path.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 12:47:31 am »

That link was very illuminating.  I'll need a "pipe" to push the magma down, otherwise it will just puddle where I drop it.  With walls around it though, it should pressurize properly and erupt.
Pages: 1 [2]