Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Hello there. I'm new here, i guess.  (Read 5019 times)

TheYeIIowDucK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hello there. I'm new here, i guess.
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 01:17:57 pm »

I highly recommend the Lazy Newb Pack http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.msg1319616 for all your graphics needs. It also has Dwarf Therapist and some needed utilities included.
Oh, thank you! That is very helpful!
I'm using it now, and one of the graphic mods included in it! Awesome piece of software is awesome.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 02:08:37 pm »

fortress cleaner is great when you have a puddle of spilled liquid that turns anyone who walks through it into a skinless freak.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 03:16:43 pm »

My first year had passed without me even finishing my "great" hall :(
Don't feel bad; I've had my fair share of Adequate Halls, too.

I just had a (foolish, preventable) Year 3 collapse due to the triple threat of a minotaur, a rampaging berserk bone crafter, and a tiny bit of magma flooding. Oops!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 03:28:35 pm »

I'm at about year 10 and still have no tables, one chair, and no bedrooms.  But I do have nearly a dozen FB/Titan in cages and a single addy-clad axedwarf turning down elven ambushes.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, 04:02:00 pm »

I make it past...oh, maybe 3 ambushes/sieges before I get bored with my fortress design and complety re-gen a new world.
On average, anyways.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011, 09:11:55 pm »

Tell you what. It took me a whole week to work out the command to dig a hole in the ground. Lasting two or three years first go is a miracle. Youll do just fine.

Now adays i build terrible impenetrable fortresses with a badass military and trap system. It is ridiculous and can get boring unless you decide to be a a little bid mad and try some seriously wacky schemes. '

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, 11:56:48 pm »

Tell you what. It took me a whole week to work out the command to dig a hole in the ground. Lasting two or three years first go is a miracle. Youll do just fine.

Now adays i build terrible impenetrable fortresses with a badass military and trap system. It is ridiculous and can get boring unless you decide to be a a little bid mad and try some seriously wacky schemes. '

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress

Thus began my "Death Sat" lava tower project, allowing me to drop magma from the skies on invaders... or more likely mess up the pump system and demonstrate to the dorfs that everything they love is flamable.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 01:14:47 am »

This is why my fort is going to be made of pure iron.  Everything they love is safe from magma flood.  Except their skin.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2011, 01:21:27 am »

-Looks up from drowning Elvish Traders while butchering cats and kittens for skulls, and setting traps for unwanted babies-

Oh uh, yeah. no mentally damaged people here. Just emotionally.

URIST, PUT THAT DOWN! -runs to take the "Flood the world with magma" lever away from Urist McCurious-
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2011, 03:51:11 pm »

If you're getting forts to run for 3~4 years after only 10 days of playing, you're doing pretty good. After you get the hang of things, you'll figure out what playstyle you want to use.

I read about DF for a year or two on the wiki and forums before downloading, and when I started I still had lots of stupid deaths.
So yeah, the OP is doing great.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2011, 06:06:59 pm »

Maybe i am a purist, but i dont like the graphics packs.

They actually confuse me to be honest. I like the base graphic. It is comforting.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 06:14:00 pm »

I agree. In some graphics packs I can't even distinguish between dwarves and goblins, or between one type of creature and another, but then again maybe I just like a small font size so I can see more. With standard graphics "g" = goblin, etc, is pretty obvious even at tiny font sizes.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2011, 06:35:29 pm »

I agree. In some graphics packs I can't even distinguish between dwarves and goblins, or between one type of creature and another, but then again maybe I just like a small font size so I can see more. With standard graphics "g" = goblin, etc, is pretty obvious even at tiny font sizes.

Honestly, I agree with you on the creatures, but the tiles for trees, ores, etc. helped me understand the game a lot faster, as most of them are fairly intuitive, so I didn't have to spend my time figuring out the different symbols rather than causing accidents which mysteriously only affect nobles and elves.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 2 [3]