Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dumping water into caverns.  (Read 700 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Dumping water into caverns.
« on: March 02, 2011, 08:41:07 am »

So, as everyone knows, caverns span the whole world(wich is knda bad) and it is calculated that this would be about 20 times that of the oceans in the DF world. I tried dumping water from a river into these caverns but they filled up. Why? Doesn't the watter ever go off the map?

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
Re: Dumping water into caverns.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 08:55:40 am »

If the cavern isn't linked to the side of the map, water won't have anywhere to go.

If you dump water in the middle of the caverns, too far from the sides, "natural" flow might not be fast enough to drain it properly. I'd say use a pump, or drop the water close to the edge. Or dig to the edge and smooth-fortify the undiggable side wall.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dumping water into caverns.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 09:17:13 am »

I once had a drowning chamber that drained into the caverns. The water would leave the drowning chamber when the raised bridge is lowered, and the water would travel down a path that leads to a row of fortifications (to prevent fliers sneaking into the drowning chamber). Unfortunately, I assumed the drained water would flow off the land it was dumped on into the water. It did, but since all the cavern water levels were 7/7, the drained water floated around the top, slowly disappearing when some washed up other bit of land and evaporated.

Funny thing was that the water would drop down onto piece of land inhabited by a tribe of Serpent men, whom I've gotten quite attached to after they killed 2 FBs (some feathery worm and a scorpion that spit fire). One of them was friendly. Afterwards, when I was bored, I set some cage traps and captured all the serpent men. Then I built a little enclosure, walling off the area the tribe was and sealing the friendly serpent man inside (I avoided walling the area the water landed). Then I hooked up the other serpent man cages inside the enclosure, sealed it, pulled the lever. The tribe then lived happily ever after inside... until some powerful FB flew in.  :(