Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Refine my Challenge  (Read 467 times)

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Refine my Challenge
« on: March 04, 2011, 03:25:56 am »

3x3 embark, vanilla 3.18, biome is flat and shallow with a river. There is flux, iron, candy, !!fun!! and a sprinkling of high-value metal. There are some trees aboveground but not thick. Wilderness setting, goblins have access and are hostile.

Elements of the challenge already decided on:

* all dwarves must live, work, and eat aboveground in houses. Mines and farms can be underground, but everything else will be done aboveground. These are shallow dwarves; they dig, but they love the sunshine. Freaks.

* no cage traps in proximity to the fort; cage traps in the wilderness to catch wild animals are fine

* no atom-smashing; bridge-based deathtraps must use gravity and z-levels to kill or capture invaders

* no danger room; training on captured enemies and via sparring only

* no walling off the world; walling off the fort will be OK but there has to be a breakable gate or open passage

Help me think of some more things to define this challenge.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Refine my Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 03:28:39 am »

there's never a survival challenge complete without FD mod.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 05:33:11 am »

* Give us yearly updates as Stonesense screenshots.
* Assign a war dog to every dwarf. Just 'cause you can.

I just started a scarily similar challenge of my own the other day. :D

My dwarves live in viking-esque longhouses, with farms and storage rooms underground. It's great fun to choose and adapt a style (though using almost exclusively wood is tedious/dangerous Fun!)

EDIT: [Insert shameless self promotion.]

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 05:39:14 am »

As I currently play as elves with very limited wood supply; I must admit your longhouses look like something I'd very much like to dismantle.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.