Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Iron, Flux, Platinum, sand, clay, 0.31.19 embark  (Read 2433 times)

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iron, Flux, Platinum, sand, clay, 0.31.19 embark
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 12:22:23 pm »

If anybody's interested, I can make available a pretty decent map I got.

3x6 large, 13.5k Native Gold, 14k Hematite, lots of flux, gems are mostly small-pocket opals, 4-wide stream that doesn't immediately run out of fish, fire clay, sand, a volcano crater is 2 z-levels from the surface, the entire landscape is totally flat, there's large tasty and non-threatening wildlife (horses, camels, muskox, elk), moderately vegetated but sparsely treed. Kobolds and Goblins are alive and well.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 01:29:12 pm »

These kind of sites are not that rare (not that they don't often require multiple worldgens, but that's how .19 is). Now, add coal in that and we are talking. The only site with coal I have found was bugged to hell.

What you're saying is this:
These kind of sites are not that rare. (often worlds do not contain any such sites)

A straight up contradiction. :P

Jorshamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 01:37:15 pm »

If anybody's interested, I can make available a pretty decent map I got.

3x6 large, 13.5k Native Gold, 14k Hematite, lots of flux, gems are mostly small-pocket opals, 4-wide stream that doesn't immediately run out of fish, fire clay, sand, a volcano crater is 2 z-levels from the surface, the entire landscape is totally flat, there's large tasty and non-threatening wildlife (horses, camels, muskox, elk), moderately vegetated but sparsely treed. Kobolds and Goblins are alive and well.

That sounds very nice. I'd like the gen files, if you don't mind.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 06:30:23 pm »

Ah, I see. It would require some relocating, but that is in fact a fine embark.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 06:52:05 pm »

These kind of sites are not that rare (not that they don't often require multiple worldgens, but that's how .19 is). Now, add coal in that and we are talking. The only site with coal I have found was bugged to hell.

These kind of sites are not that rare. (often worlds do not contain any such sites)

Often worlds contain nothing but utterly crappy sites, that's how .19 - making multiple worlds is the standard to get decent amount of good sites right now.

My point is that it's not that rare to come across sites like that if you search for multiple shallow deep/metals (and realize you should place the embark so that it overlaps as many biomes as it can). I come across something like this most of the time I embark now, so I kind of fail to see what's so amazing about it.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 06:56:37 pm »

If either of those maps have limestone, sand, clay, whip vines, and rope reed then that is what I'm really looking for. I just posted this since it seemed interesting.

Do you ahve a volcano?

I got a genesis embark with coke (peat, equivalent to lignite but in soil), hematite, gold, and exposed silver on the surface. It's not as good as platinum but there's a lot more gold overall.
The surprise in the first cavern, center of the map is a magma pipe. Only 20 z-levels down too.
Mine has whip vines, sand, normal and fire clay. It has marble flux but no limestone. I dunno about rope reed, it has a murky pool and it supposedly grows in this biome so it seems likely but I haven't actually tried to gather any. I always use pig tails and silk myself.

Save file here for you or anyone else interested. If you want the seed I can find that too.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3888
Memento Mori

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 07:07:07 pm »

Often worlds contain nothing but utterly crappy sites, that's how .19 - making multiple worlds is the standard to get decent amount of good sites right now.

My point is that it's not that rare to come across sites like that if you search for multiple shallow deep/metals (and realize you should place the embark so that it overlaps as many biomes as it can). I come across something like this most of the time I embark now, so I kind of fail to see what's so amazing about it.
I agree that this embark isn't amazing, but I think it's noteworthy. The magma pipe is the first of that particular type I've ever found, plus it's got everything most people want to play with right now.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 07:41:42 pm »

The most difficult part of it is finding a volcano. Since volcanoes aren't always conveniently placed, sometimes it's better to just skip the volcano and get a better site. However steel and gold are the only metals I really need, and a bit of galena and cobalt doesn't hurt either.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)
Pages: 1 [2]