Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adamantine Space Elevators Workable?  (Read 1895 times)

Verdian

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Chef
    • View Profile
Adamantine Space Elevators Workable?
« on: February 21, 2011, 06:08:53 pm »

I recently embarked and found an adamantine space elevator. Instead of starring at it until they die, my dwarfs are working normally. The lag is unbearable, but they are mining it out and doing their chores. Is this because of the latest patch?
ArkDelgato: Why is my house filled with vomit.
nahkh: Why ISN'T your house filled with vomit?!

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Space Elevators Workable?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 06:22:26 pm »

When I had an addy pillar in 31.16, it didn't hinder my FPS at all. Son;t know why other people have the trouble. But then again, HFS wasn;t visible, so they didn't come and kill me.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 06:26:57 pm »

The reason Adamantine Space Elevators crash your FPS is due to the insane amount of extra Z-levels it creates, they can reach several thousand Z-levels high.  Most if not all embarks don't last more than a half a minute; i speak from personal experience.  Since it's impossible to reduce the number of Z-levels, you're stuck with the lag.

Verdian

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 06:29:59 pm »

Oddly enough, I don't think the adamantine is the cause of the lag. A few screens over from it there is a hole in the ground. It is very deep and I cannot see the bottom. I am not entirely sure, but I think it is a failed volcano. When I embarked, the first few Z-levels of this hole were cut away. There was magma all over the rim of this thing for several Z-levels, but nothing inside. About 10 or 20 z-levels down, there is magma inside the hole, but only to one side of it. And the thickness is not normal. It some places it is 7/7, in others 2/7. This changes by area and Z-level. It eventually reaches, not the normal magma sea, but several z-levels of magma. There are also occasional cave-ins dozen's of z-levels below what I can see of this shaft. I don't know what's going on down there, but I think all of the fluid calculations are what is slowing me down.

I assume when Armok was shaving and his whisker fell, he nicked himself. A bit of his magma blood fell and caused the massive hole, spraying everywhere as it struck the earth.

Verdian

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 06:31:35 pm »

The reason Adamantine Space Elevators crash your FPS is due to the insane amount of extra Z-levels it creates, they can reach several thousand Z-levels high.

Are these z-levels unviewable? While the whisker does go off screen (in terms of z-levels), I can only view it about 7 levels above the ground.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 06:22:28 am »

only 7 levels? ugh, i'be been wanting to work on one of the spire sites just for the extra zlevels, the blue stuff is nice but i want a 1000 z level tower :/
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 06:32:49 am »

Someone in the "worldgen tips" thread (the small new thread, not the "cookbook") posted how to get like 400z differences between lowest and highest terrain.  Your tower will be beside a cliff, but you've got plenty of room at least.

Also, biggest issue with the spire maps seems to be that demons are present, or something is draining endlessly.  Both of these kill your FPS, via pathfinding or flow dynamics.  If you could somehow negate hell and stop water (read: Use DFHack liberally), then you -should- be able to play, in theory.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 07:22:37 am »

I'm currently playing around with the 'magma mountain' level to see what help dfliquids might be..
edit: just finished a macro to wipe clean 1458 levels of unwanted magma , should take about a half hour to run *crosses fingers*
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 09:00:02 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 09:43:24 am »

Also, biggest issue with the spire maps seems to be that demons are present, or something is draining endlessly.  Both of these kill your FPS, via pathfinding or flow dynamics.  If you could somehow negate hell and stop water (read: Use DFHack liberally), then you -should- be able to play, in theory.

Obsidian can always be used to improve your framerate.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 09:51:28 am »

there seem to be a few magma reservoirs overlapping the edge, they'll need plugging with obsidian, luckily the ground is only about 100 zlevels... also i might need to hack out the random chunks of semi molten rock/slade that's strewn all over the place.