Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GamerKnight has written something and needs feedback. (Please don't hurt me)  (Read 622 times)

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile

Well, here I go. Please don't be to harsh:

The Shadow's Lure
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Shadow's Halls

The Shadow's Destruction

The Shadow's Embrace (UNFINISHED)
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

Ignus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • What would Conan do?

Writing in the first person is Hard (capital H).

Most people, when they start writing in first person, tend to end up with a wall of "I saw... I felt... I blah blah" all very much concerned with the character's internal world. The problem with this is that unless you are a good writer (and by good I mean Good, not just "not awful") it will get intolerably repetitive and dull for the reader.

The trick is to take it outside the character more, be brave; don't write like he's literally telling it to you as a series of events. Do little things like (to pick a totally random section) "The world I found myself was horrific and confusing". Simple. Less Is, more variety. You know those people you know that can tell you about their holidays and you DON'T black out from boredom? This is what they do. They take the recounting outside of themselves, they lessen the "I" and present it as an engaging story, thus we give a crap.

I would recommend you read some travel journals or just simple old journalism, as this is something they do well, taking personal accounts and making them engaging.

Keep up the work, and write write write!

EDIT: And dialogue. Dialogue also helps break things up. Don't tell me what they said, just say it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 04:51:18 am by Ignus »

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile

Thanks. I'll try that.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.