Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sleeping in barracks  (Read 715 times)

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Sleeping in barracks
« on: February 28, 2011, 08:15:55 am »

I don't quite get the point of sleeping in barracks. What's the difference between "sleep in barracks at will" and "sleep in barracks at need"?

I'm assuming that sleeping in barracks will make dwarves less happy unless maybe you give them individual fancy barracks or something.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeping in barracks
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 06:45:49 pm »

I think the main purpose, is to make them sleep closer to the door, instead of tucked all the way back in the bowels of civilian housing.  It also gives you the option, and options are good.  You may not ever use the option, but it's nice to know you're not limited.

As for need/want, I think need makes them stay on-duty longer, so if you know you've got a siege coming and want your men stationed longer, switch to need.  If they're just training or patroling for trogs/crundles, want will work.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 07:03:52 pm »

I don't quite get the point of sleeping in barracks. What's the difference between "sleep in barracks at will" and "sleep in barracks at need"?

I'm assuming that sleeping in barracks will make dwarves less happy unless maybe you give them individual fancy barracks or something.

Titan smashes through your outer defenses, heads towards the fort entrance.

"Crap! Call up the militia!"

"OK! We'll come from our individual bedrooms, scattered throughout the fort...so of course, we'll arrive one at a time, giving the Titan plenty of time to crush us each one by one."

vs.

"OK! We were all sleeping/training/hanging out in the barracks, so here we come as one seething mass of steel and aggression!"

That's the point :)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 08:14:01 pm »

Why not make individual bedrooms right off the barracks? I know I try to put my doctors right off the hospital.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 08:20:52 pm »

Sleeping in barracks also allows your dwarves to train more easily and constantly, rather than, again, flood into the barracks every time they wake up.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 09:26:31 pm »

While the posts above have things right, I thought I'd point out something that happened to me.

I believe the "... at will" vs "... at need" has to do with when the dwarves sleep, and not necessarily where they sleep.

I had a kobold and goblin thief pair approach my fortress.  They were spotted, and my (single squad of) soldiers were activated and told to form up outside the entrance to fight them (yay! on-the-job training for those six!)  Well, one guy was off getting food, so he didn't show up right away, but the rest came out side and almost immediately charged into battle.  When the guy getting food finally decided to join the battle, most of my soldiers were already engaged in melee with one of the two thieves.  Suddenly, I noticed that my second best soldiers was still asleep in his room!

I don't know if the fact I had the "... at will" option set (they dwarves sleep then they want to) was why he kept sleeping while I was assigning orders via the squad screen, but that is what it looked like.  As soon as he woke up he joined the fun (poking thieves with spears, six training spears and two steel spears because the metalworker hadn't gotten around to going back to work to make the other six now that I had flux  :-[)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 10:00:45 pm »

I find that it's easier and space-save-ier to just make rooms for the soldiers off the barracks rather than putting them down in the common housing.  Plus, I give 'em a gold statue and engrave their walls if possible.  This'll dampen the effects of unhappiness for those who aren't so skilled.
tl;dr: I don't bother with that.  Give them a room next to the barracks.
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.