Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm confused on trading in Adventure Mode  (Read 5112 times)

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I'm confused on trading in Adventure Mode
« on: March 08, 2011, 02:35:45 am »

Why is the shop keep being such a stingy bastard? The sword I want says it's 5Γ...I don't even know what that means...I tried giving him 146*. Assuming maybe there's some discrepancy between the two difference currencies(?), I tried to trade an item that also said it was 5Γ. Looking up ANYTHING on the wiki concerning Adventure Mode is like trying to pull my own tooth out with two spoons and a handle of Jack.

Can someone set me right on this please? I'm clearly doing something wrong, and this snippy little shopkeep is pretty close to giving me everything for free, if you know what I mean.

Necalli

• Bay Watcher
  • amusing ourselves to death
    • View Profile
Re: I'm confused on trading in Adventure Mode
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 03:02:19 am »

Can you give us some hints by providing a screenshot? Tileset or ASCII. I never heard of such prices.

Though you hit the nail by mentioning the currencies. Right now all the gold becomes useless junk when you're shopping in different civ markets. There realy should be a currency converting system, with moneychangers in towns.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 03:02:43 am »

... Thats weight i believe...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Necalli

• Bay Watcher
  • amusing ourselves to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 03:49:27 am »

Yeah, that's... weight >_>
(it's in the graphic set I use)

Anyways, read some hints about trading on Magmawiki.
One special hint though: if you can't get a price on selected shop items (by offering a minimum), it's because you don't have enough money. The same works vice versa (asking for maximum), only that shops usually have plenty of gold to show prices of even the most valuable items in your posession.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 03:59:13 am by Necalli »

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 04:43:09 am »

It all makes sense now.

Not that I don't appreciate the awesomeness of this game (especially being as it's, you know, free), but currency has to have one of the most insane designs in this game. Next thing I have to learn is where and how to modify the raw files for adventure mode. There's all sorts of cheats/hacks that work with DF, but testing out things like knapping in Adventure Mode is slow-going with the current attributes my characters get.

Speaking of which, anyone know how to get better "sharp rocks" from knapping? My first character managed to make all kinds of quality rocks, but my new character can't get anything but the vanilla rocks, no matter how high his skill gets.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 05:34:15 am »

There are plenty of aventure mode cheats, and sharpened rocks are actually pretty random...

Spoiler: list_cheats (click to show/hide)
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 06:04:32 am »

I'm actually only looking to up skills to figure out what increases knapping, and to what degree. I'm sure I'll find other uses for modding skills/attributes, but I'm trying to just use it right now to get a better grasp on how some skills work, and with what attributes.

I'm just really obsessed with knapping right now, because it makes absolutely no sense to me. I once made 10 of the "finely-crafted" sharpened rocks in a row, then I made 1000 with a macro program on another character with nearly hidentical stats, and I didn't get a single one.