Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No gems, 4th moody dwarf lost  (Read 889 times)

phoenixuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No gems, 4th moody dwarf lost
« on: March 04, 2011, 06:39:47 pm »

Ok, so the new version is a reduced metal/gems fest, that's fine, i can deal with that... but i'm now looking at losing a fourth dwarf to strange mood because he wants rough gems, and raw glass doesn't count.

I've also not seen a single rough gem for trade. Is this something anyone else is encountering or is my world gen just fubared this time around?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: No gems, 4th moody dwarf lost
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 06:42:55 pm »

I've never seen a rough gem for trade, but I have yet to have an embark where I didn't find plenty of gems while mining.  On the other hand, I've had several .19 embark sites with no useful metal whatsoever, and lost several moody dwarves who needed metal.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

phoenixuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 06:44:37 pm »

Metal i have, plenty of Hematite and Native silver, but no coal (trading like mad for trees, and breached the caverns just for wood) and not a single gem cluster.
I'm currently strip mining an entire layer, and nada.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 06:45:39 pm »

It's possible you're FUBAR'd given the no gems for trade, but in my experience all .31.19 forts have equal amounts of gems -- they're just distributed unevenly throughout the map. Some layers will have two or three types of gems, others will have none.

Try running DFProspector; if it shows you have gems then it's just a matter of finding them. I recommend digging deep and then running small exploratory shafts into each layer stone you encounter. If you find a layer stone that contains a type of gem, it'll have LOTS of that type of gem. If you don't see any gems, assume that layer is barren and dig further down.

phoenixuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 07:25:47 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion, DFProspector is telling me i have gems...
BUT.
a) Not a lot.
b) only 5 types.

Some embark i picked :P first cavern area shows NO exposed gems anywhere, so it looks like they are all down under the caverns. Wheeeeeeee.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 09:05:23 pm »

Did you remember to cut the raw glass into a gem, or do they want uncut gems? I seem to remember using raw glass for a mood in .18, and I'm wondering if this is a bug for reporting.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 09:10:36 pm »

First thing I do, all forts, no exceptions?  Turn off random artifacts.

Only once I'm established do I even consider turning it on, but most of the time it just proves an unwelcome distraction in my progress towards whatever megaproject I'm working on.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 09:15:59 pm »

Or, since you already have Prospector, you could use Reveal and dig towards the clusters.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 09:32:21 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion, DFProspector is telling me i have gems...
BUT.
a) Not a lot.
b) only 5 types.

Some embark i picked :P first cavern area shows NO exposed gems anywhere, so it looks like they are all down under the caverns. Wheeeeeeee.
Like I said, dig down and do shallow exploratory mining in each distinct layer stone you find. If a layer stone has gems it'll have LOTS of gems. Most don't have any. It's just a matter of finding the layer stone which holds your gems.