Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Taming Animals, Question!  (Read 965 times)

MisterLich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Taming Animals, Question!
« on: February 28, 2011, 04:31:11 am »

Question.

Can all captured animals be tamed?  If not, is there a way to make it so they can be?  Thanks.

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taming Animals, Question!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 04:40:10 am »

In vanilla DF, in one word, no. You can train the following animals though: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Animal_trainer

You can always make any animal you've caught into a pet by looking into your raw folder in your save file of the region you're playing, looking up the animal in question and either add the [PET] tag or change the [PET_EXOTIC] into [PET]...
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 04:54:32 am »

In vanilla, there's a Dungeon Master, required to train exotic captures, which is most everything.  However, the Dungeon Master doesn't appear most times, and is broken even when he does, or is modded in.  Pretty much everyone who cares about taming will change animals from [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET] to enable them to be tamed easily.  There's even a utility out there that goes in and changes them all for you!

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 05:33:02 am »

Is that why I have been unable to tame my cage trapped giant eagles?
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 05:50:38 am »

Yep. If you're gonna change the raws to tame them, be sure to update the raws in your world folder, they won't apply to your current game otherwise.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 05:52:57 am »

Yep. If you're gonna change the raws to tame them, be sure to update the raws in your world folder, they won't apply to your current game otherwise.

Hmmm. Guess I better figure all this out.

Anyone have a link to the previously mentioned utility that does this for me? I'm afraid I'll try modding and end up with fire breathing eagles or something.

Actually maybe I should do it anyways...

But seriously, about that utility?
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Dora Feddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 06:59:10 am »

Search for the No_Exotics or something like that in the modding section. It's great in that it works with all versions, but it removes all exotic tags from your raws.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 10:17:56 am »

Hmmm. Guess I better figure all this out.

Anyone have a link to the previously mentioned utility that does this for me? I'm afraid I'll try modding and end up with fire breathing eagles or something.

Actually maybe I should do it anyways...

But seriously, about that utility?

If you could do that by accident while removing Pet_Exotic, I would ask you to mod my raws...
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 11:12:04 am »

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Just download notepad++ and replace all [PET_EXOTIC] with [PET] in your save/regionX/data/raw or something like that folder.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 11:53:12 am »

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Just download notepad++ and replace all [PET_EXOTIC] with [PET] in your save/regionX/data/raw or something like that folder.

Seems to have worked! Thanks a ton. Time for some animal husbandry. For !!Science!!