Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Merchants: Slaughtered  (Read 1246 times)

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Merchants: Slaughtered
« on: March 01, 2011, 01:29:43 am »

ahahah...  hehehehe...  MUAHAHAHA

I just designated some visiting elf merchants to be slaughtered by my military on a whim.  I didn't think it would work.  I've repeatedly seen word that you can't kill merchants via direct designation.

Turns out you can.  The elves left a bloody mess at the edge of my map.  One excaped.

GYAHAHAHAHAHA
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Merchants: Slaughtered
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 01:37:35 am »

Now you have learnt just how horrible and bad this game can be, and who you should be so careful with your attack commands.

You should have waited untill they were in your fort! Letting one get away is just despicable.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 01:41:19 am »

Let elves inside fort, sent them to small room with a lot of drains, lock doors, water and magma (at the same time). Wince and repeat.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 01:43:30 am »

I think letting one get away is exactly what should happen.  He can warn his fellows -- who have successfully traded with this fortress twice before -- that we've gone batshit insane.  And that they should prepare arrows.

The humans dont' come to my fortress, despite having been on the embark list, so I'll have to wait an entire year to do it again...  I want to get them closer in and leave one undesignated, and chase him/her off with my slowest squad...  kyehehehe...

(I don't want to use magma!  No one gains skills from magma!  My computer loses skills -- FPS skills!)
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 02:26:16 am »

Unrelated: In a recent elf ambush, they were all mounted on war grizzly bears.  This didn't help them, as 4 bismuth bronze-clad soldiers routed them.  Sadly one lost his foot, so he dehydrated in the hospital.  In the course of the battle, I managed to capture one of the squad leader's bears in a cage trap.  I'm now going to re-train this bear, if possible, and let my militia commander use it against the elves!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 04:05:11 am »

How do you get elf ambushes? Do you use a recent version?  After all I've done to the elves, I honestly thought elf warfare was disabled.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 04:40:14 am »

No clue, but my world started at war with the elves.  The only relevant changes would be [MAKE_TROPHY_SENTIENT:ACCEPTABLE] which would make elves and humans more likely to wage war, but it doesn't make them auto-war.  Normally I ignore elves entirely, or buy a few bears and then ignore them.

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 09:45:43 am »

Hmm. I thought I was at war with the elves when I embarked, but in a year or so they sent a caravan. I am disappoint.
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 10:55:59 am »

I've repeatedly seen word that you can't kill merchants via direct designation. Turns out you can.

I would strongly advise against trying that against a Dwarven caravan, unless you want to start a loyalty cascade*...

* in this case, it will create 2 factions that are hostile with each other (where one of them will be automatically attacked by any visiting Dwarves), such that any neutral dwarf (including migrants) will automatically become a member of one faction upon attacking a member of the other faction, whether deliberately or from self defense.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 11:27:25 am »

Hmm. I thought I was at war with the elves when I embarked, but in a year or so they sent a caravan. I am disappoint.

one of my longest running 40d forts started at war with the elves, and they ambush/siege/get pwned by my military all the time. At one point do they say 'Hell with this!' and give up?  I've killed hundreds and they just keep coming.

Then I also noticed a friendly elf civ has suddenly sprung up, though they send no caravans...
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 12:06:12 pm »

I've repeatedly seen word that you can't kill merchants via direct designation. Turns out you can.

I would strongly advise against trying that against a Dwarven caravan, unless you want to start a loyalty cascade*...

* in this case, it will create 2 factions that are hostile with each other (where one of them will be automatically attacked by any visiting Dwarves), such that any neutral dwarf (including migrants) will automatically become a member of one faction upon attacking a member of the other faction, whether deliberately or from self defense.

Yeah, last time I was addicted to the game for a few months was around the time that Loyalty Cascades were discovered...  I figured that would be the result, and didn't intend to.

At least not until I've conquered goblin (and hopefully elf) sieges that drop me down to 1 fps, eaten all the candy, seen all the clowns, built a pup tent at the circus, and built something awesome.  After all of that, civil war will be the best way for this fort to go. Armok, I hope that I make it that long.