Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lungfish Arrghh  (Read 1286 times)

LordHavoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lungfish Arrghh
« on: February 27, 2011, 06:47:05 am »

So, I've got this above ground going on. Looking quite nice, a good economy, 50 dwarfs (currently capped at that). And all weird moods being met without incident.

I wanted to expand my capabilities a little bit so built a kennel, a few traps, chains and cages. Saw some Rhino's wander past and thought...ooh, I gotta get me some of those. So went onto the kennel and capture a live land animal hoping they would go after the Rhino assuming they went after the closest.
I thought wrong...it appeared there were lungfish nearby and went into all the traps i made (i queued the task). So...plan B...stuff all the lungfish into a cage and try again. That didn't work...what was happening was the lungfish in the cage were breeding and spilling lungfish all over the place.

Now I hit another problem. I couldn't effectively do anything with those lungfish. They're not butcher-able, and when I tried to dump them in a garbage masher, they seemed to float (they didn't drop down the Z-Axis into the masher area). The cats couldn't eat them fast enough. I recently managed to get rid of the 500+ corpses in the masher, but I still have a lungfish infestation problem.

Any ideas?
Ideally some guaranteed method of telling my dwarfs to stuff them into the masher would be useful. I'm not averse to crushing the cage along with the fish if it deals with the problem.
Note: I don't want to edit the raws

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lungfish Arrghh
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 06:49:20 am »

Thats not how you capture animals. Animal traps only capture vermin like lungfish and rats. Cage traps placed as a building are what you use to capture animals.

Atomsmash the cages with the fish in them.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 09:58:27 am »

If you swap their [AMPHIBIOUS] tag with [AQUATIC] in the raws, they'll stay in the water and won't flop about on land. That'll make them fishable too.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 10:12:41 am »

I had a sudden vision of a lungfish cage atop of a tall pillar.  While the ages passed, as the lungfish bred and its children sprang forth from it loins, those children would rain down on the fortress and smear the land red with their blood (or whatever color lungfish bleed).  A lungfish waterfall.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 10:17:14 am »

But lungfish are cute.

LordHavoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 11:04:04 am »

A strange solution occurred, purely by accident. The fish that were dumped and floating(wouldn't fall down Z-Axis)...I made a floor on them and they disappeared (lungfish floor?). I then removed the floor and they were still gone. Problem solved.

Lungfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 11:51:34 am »

Lungfish can get pretty big, and will attack just about anything that looks like it might be made of meat. I was disappointed to learn that they are as good as vermin. No danger, no meat, no bones, just junk for cats to pathfind to and create garbage.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 12:05:07 pm »

Or my favorite: Change the raws and include the [PET] tag.  Enjoy hilarity when one of your farmers ends up with two dozen lungfish crawling all over him.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 03:15:42 pm »

Lungfish can get pretty big, and will attack just about anything that looks like it might be made of meat. I was disappointed to learn that they are as good as vermin. No danger, no meat, no bones, just junk for cats to pathfind to and create garbage.

Well, these are also vermin, apparently.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)