Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quality of weapons in traps  (Read 1403 times)

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
Quality of weapons in traps
« on: March 19, 2011, 11:07:51 am »

Does the quality of the weapons affect the damage of a weapon trap?

I know the mechanisms affect the accuracy...
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Quality of weapons in traps
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 11:11:45 am »

I think, marginally.  I wouldn't be too concerned about it though.

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 12:04:27 pm »

Yeah, your primary concern should be number of traps and the material of the weapons. I'm not entirely sure if quality has a significant effect on weapon damage anymore, but it's certainly not nearly as important as it once was.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 03:45:53 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Item_quality
It seem masterwork weapons are twice as likely to hit, and from Toady's quote at the bottom it would seem that quality on edge weapons determine how sharp they are. But still material trumps quality.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 04:14:43 pm »

High quality weapons will be more likely to hit, but a fully stocked weapon trap makes up quality with quantity. Especially given the way damage is modeled in DF. To paraphrase the great Toad, "In another game you'd trip a trap and lose 12 hit points or whatever, whereas in DF you lose a leg"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 04:19:06 pm »

That to-hit table is new, I don't remember seeing that before.  But that's nice, means masterwork shields should block 40% of hits in addition to skill level.  If there were a rating on damage/breaking point for quality of weapons/armor that'd be awesome.  A plain steel breastplate might shatter under a giant's fist, but a masterwork steel breastplate may withstand it.  Just theory there, since it's so hard to get information about quality in combat.  Quality of equipment is always base value in the arena...

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 05:56:50 pm »

...  Just theory there, since it's so hard to get information about quality in combat.  Quality of equipment is always base value in the arena...

1. I just killed a bronze colossus in the arena, and it returned a *bronze statue*
The relevant creature tokens are:
   [ITEMCORPSE:STATUE:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:BRONZE]
   [ITEMCORPSE_QUALITY:5]
Drop small furry creatures to their deaths in the arena, so their bodies spawn useful testing items.

2. Adventurer reactions work in the arena, so you can cheat items into existence. However, the quality of the product only depends on the skill used by the creature. You could make a cheat reaction that uses the fighter skill to turn out swords, and then possess critters with various levels of skill to make swords of various quality levels.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 06:10:09 pm »

Of course!  Glorious!  Although it's still a bit difficult to actually test the abilities because of the thoroughly random way combat works, not to mention that actually harvesting the equipment for each test can be a chore, even with macros.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 06:26:39 pm »

AFAIK, the weapon quality in both traps and dwarves' hands determine a to-hit bonus.  Additionally it is modified by the quality of the mechanisms (or skill of the user).

IE, a masterpiece trap and weapon combo has about a 90% chance to hit.  A legendary mechanism and masterpiece weapon, 95%.  And both artifacts?  100% garunteed hit (except trapavoids of course).

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 10:35:11 pm »

I think, marginally.  I wouldn't be too concerned about it though.

Actually, weapon quality has a significant effect on the hit rate, as I learned when I put in some one-weapon goblin grinders and saw that some killed the guys a LOT faster than others (which could never hit the stupid goblin).  And a *quality* mechanism wasn't enough to make a no-quality weapon do more than get blocked all the time.  They didn't even dodge it.

Mind you, this is far less of a concern when you have a hallway full of 10-weapon traps, preferably with deep pits nearby.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 11:17:06 pm »

Were they all the same material?
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.