Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf_Fortress the exceutable does not exist .. kind of.  (Read 518 times)

myounage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf_Fortress the exceutable does not exist .. kind of.
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:28:31 pm »

I cannot for the life of me seem to run Dwarf Fortress, either via df or libx/Dwarf_Fortress. By typing /.df or /.libs/Dwarf_Fortress (which Bash even autocompletes with tab). I get the error that Dwarf_Fortress does not exist .. wat? I can strings and cat the file, as well as touch it, and Bash will complete its name with tab, so it's definately there, but I cannot run it. Wat do? I have opengl, my video drivers, and SDL.

myounage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf_Fortress the exceutable does not exist .. kind of.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:42:38 pm »

Ah yes, this is Linux by the way.

myounage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 12:56:09 am »

Issue resolved, disregard thread. It was missing 32-bit libs.

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 07:32:29 am »

(A pointless reply, as you've already solved the problem.)

This still gets me occasionally, even though I know what the issue is.  I hate it, it's such an inappropriate error message.  To elaborate, in case anyone else finds this thread when searching...

Symptoms: An executable that you know is there and readable will give you the error "<command>: No such file or directory" when you try to run it.  This only happens on a 64-bit Linux install.

Solution: Install the appropriate 32-bit libraries.  With Ubuntu, this almost always means installing ia32-libs.

myounage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 05:31:08 am »

I agree, something has to be done about it. I would have immediately installed 32-bit libs if it said e.x: "32-bit support not present."