Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pierced an aquifer .. kind of  (Read 568 times)

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pierced an aquifer .. kind of
« on: February 24, 2011, 02:09:10 pm »

I was digging out some rooms next to an aquifer when it turned out that there where 2 tiles separated from it.
Like this:
Code: [Select]
,,,,,AAA
,,,,,,AA
,,AA,,AA
,,,,,AAA
,,,AAAAA
, = floor
A = damp stone
I thought i could dig them away because i always imagined that when you hit an aquifer that the water comes out of the surrounding tiles.....
Turns out i am now dealing with a flood here coming out of nowhere/the floor.

Question is:
How do i contain this?
I do not have access from above because there is an aquifer as well.
I have erected walls/closed doors and have now a ~30x30 area with 7/7 water and want to get rid of this ...
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pierced an aquifer .. kind of
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 02:33:13 pm »

Are you sure you've mined out both of the pillars? Aquifer goes away if there aren't damp pillars, try channeling them from above. If that doesn't help bring shitload of pumps and find out from where exactly water comes, in the name of science!
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 02:34:00 pm »

Water can't come out of the floor, but aquifer tiles will continue producing water even if they're completely isolated from the rest of the aquifer.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 02:34:15 pm »

Technically the water is coming in from the ceiling, but the floor is a viable solution as well.

I would say, for your sanity, to give up that room and dig it somewhere else. With that said:

If you have rock above it you can try the cave-in method, as this is the best.

Unless water freezes in your map, in which case waiting for the water to freeze, digging the ice out, and building walls where you dug out is viable. You could also channel the floor in hopes that it'll drain into the bottom aquifer if there is an aquifer below it, if the water is coming from the ceiling you just made a mini waterfall.

Pumps, if it's just two spaces 10 pumps should be more than enough. You'll have to pump inwards to the where you dug out, which will take a lot of time and trial and error.

However you do it, the easiest way would be to rebuild walls where you dug out if you can. If not, then channel the floor in hopes that it drains into the bottom aquifer if there is one. If not, then smooth the aquifer above it or dig the above aquifer out.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!