Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A spree of failure.  (Read 1543 times)

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A spree of failure.
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 06:15:08 pm »

If you are on a cold biome it is pretty easy to breach them, since the water freezes when it's exposed to air, and you can dig through the ice.  It's not something you'd want to learn to do without making a save (and using it many times) though.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 06:21:41 pm »

Beware of miners (and precious, precious picks) getting encased in ice!

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 06:27:15 pm »

I did it with screw pumps my first time and I only killed one dorf (and that was a stupid accident I should have stopped) They only suck when they cover your only sedimentary layer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First you just channel out the area you want to clear. One strip at a time is best so Urist Mcminer doesn't start on the edges and drown himself when he gets stuck in the middle. Then channel out strips 2 tiles from that. Put pumps in place to pump water from the central pool to the edges. They will absorb infinite water. You can then build walls or smooth the stone to plug it. If you need to go through more than one layer, make the first level big enough to repeat as needed. I breached a 3 z-level aquifer this way, though it took several ingame years.
Memento Mori

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 06:39:47 pm »

agatharchides, what biome should i choose for nifty stuff?
Only in DF do you get discussions of how to genocide babies and children because they take up resources, slaughter merpeople for their bones, eat raw kitten meat, and set carefree, happy elves on fire.

Is someone keeping track of all these?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 07:00:49 pm »

EDIT: Search for a site with no aquifer, shallow metals and clay. Two will show up. You want the northern one in the tropical forest. You can split it between two biomes. One has sand, gold and iron. The other has clay and galena. The brook goes through both.

TBH that's about all I remember, I started it a while ago. If you still can't find it I'll make a duplicate save and abandon so I can get more details.
Memento Mori

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 07:09:00 pm »

Candyland embark?

* points to sig *

Sorry, I couldn't help it.
Pages: 1 [2]