Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mead?  (Read 778 times)

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mead?
« on: February 22, 2011, 07:15:07 am »

Hello!

I just cannot make mead. I have several jugs filled with honey, a brand new empty iron barrel and I cannot yet make mead. Any suggestion?

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mead?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 07:47:58 am »

Yeah, this is a problem. The solution (which another forum user taught me) is a bit complicated so bear with me.

1. Go to your finished goods stockpile(s) and make it/them not accept tools.
2. Go to your food stockpile(s) and make it/them not accept honey.

That's how I got it to work. I don't know why it works, but I've been making mead ever since.

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:52:28 am »

It's totally idiotic but it works, so it's not idiotic. Thanks, it should be put in the Wiki!

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 03:38:51 pm »

From what I understand, it works because the game currently isn't recognizing honey if it's in a stockpile.

Forbidding tools from the finished goods stockpile prevents it from accepting the jugs which contain the honey. 
Forbidding honey from the food one prevents it from storing the honey obviously.

This keeps your honey out of the stockpiles and thus it's available for use. 
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Rinkanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 04:00:20 pm »

Just FYI , its the same issue for soap production.

Your soap maker will never "find" the lye if they are in a stockpile and unlike mead its darn frustrating since you NEED a lye stockpile to get your dwarves to put the lye in barrels (if the lye is in a bucket its a no go either)

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 04:27:32 pm »

Yeah, this is a problem. The solution (which another forum user taught me) is a bit complicated so bear with me.

1. Go to your finished goods stockpile(s) and make it/them not accept tools.
2. Go to your food stockpile(s) and make it/them not accept honey.

That's how I got it to work. I don't know why it works, but I've been making mead ever since.

I just had my brewer make mead in a palm (wooden) barrel, and he grabbed the jug of honey from my jug/hive/nest stockpile.  It looks like you only need to do step 2.

Also, prickle berry wine is more valuable than mead, so it's only worth the trouble to be able to say "I did it!".  Then 50 billion gobbos will invade your fort looking for the bees cause they're so valuable.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 04:51:22 pm »

Wait, WHAT? Mead is supposed to be the DRINK OF THE GODS. Google it.

And it's less valuable than the sour stinky Prickle berry wine?! BLASPHEMY.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 12:50:17 am »

Okay, so they're both value 1  :P

I set [MATERIAL_VALUE:10] under mead, in the honey_bee entry in creature_insects.txt.  Now MY mead is worth 10.  Still not worth the trouble of dealing with the bees, and jugs, and rebuilding the hives every time they're harvested.  And getting royal jelly close enough to the kitchen so my cook will use it.  And honey and royal jelly and wax cakes all end up in stacks of 1, so they take up more space in the stockpiles.  And ...  I think I'll just stop now.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 03:29:36 pm »

Honey and Royal jelly can wind up in nicely large stacks via the current container-in-container bug, as the (filled) jugs can still go in bins in a Finished Goods stockpile that accepts Tools.  Though I share other people's difficulties with making Soap and making Mead due to their stockpile issues, for whatever reason my cooks are happy to use the finished goods-based honey and royal jelly.  The wax cakes can fit into Pressed Material Barrels in food stockpiles, but with the current half-borked barrels, that seems to be a rarity (I seem to get a max of one barrel used per stockpile most of the time; nice when it's a pot with a thousand plants, not so nice when it's a meat/pressed barrel with ~8 items before they stop touching it >< )

For mead, it's easier if you've got a large scale honey industry going.  If once you get someone started on the mead-making, they're usually willing to continue even with stockpiled materials, so if you can keep up the honey supply steady enough, you can keep the mead flowing with only the occasional manual interference.