Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Named... "weapons"?  (Read 1113 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Named... "weapons"?
« on: February 24, 2011, 06:56:59 pm »

If a dwarf names the weapon he uses the most, and a dwarf bites alot of stuff to death, would he name his teeth?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Named... "weapons"?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 07:09:01 pm »

They have to grow attached to their weapons first, and I think they're already attached to their teeth.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 07:16:05 pm »

Test it out. Make sure you remove the dwarf's limbs first so he doesn't get attached to his left upper arm.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 07:43:01 pm »

I'm pretty sure it only happens with objects, and body parts are only objects if they get severed. He'd grow attached to his teeth if he used them as a blunt weapon in place of a sword (Which, I think, is far more entertaining than getting attached to a sword)
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 07:56:47 pm »

They have to grow attached to their weapons first, and I think they're already attached to their teeth.
Really? Cause I could have sworn I had a dwarf slay a forgotten beast single handedly with a random sword he just picked up and named it right then and there before getting attached to it. Though I could have just not been paying attention.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:15:51 pm »

Really? Cause I could have sworn I had a dwarf slay a forgotten beast single handedly with a random sword he just picked up and named it right then and there before getting attached to it. Though I could have just not been paying attention.
I think it generally happens in stages, based on the number and difficulty of kills made per weapon; there's probably some kind of points system buried in the source code. A forgotten beast is considered challenging enough that they skip the whole "becoming attached" part and go straight to giving it a name.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 08:20:46 pm »

My men in danger rooms, with 10x training spears per trap, have named things after about a year without any kills to their name.  It seems to be more based on combat time and value spent with that weapon.  10x training spears is a lot of small hits adding up to one big sum.  Forgotten Beast is several large hits adding to the sum.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 08:29:24 pm »

I think they get attached to it if they kill some important thing (titan, FB, etc) or if they level up their skills a lot with it (danger room) because I have a danger room and they're naming weapons left and right.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 09:09:59 pm »

If you go into a dwarf's inventory and view his weapon you'll see a list of "significant kills" for that weapon. I think weapons basically get experience points, though I'm not sure where I read that. For whatever reason I've never managed to get a named weapon and I've been through 10+ forts already.

If dwarves are naming weapons from danger room training then they must be getting experience for blocking with them or something....

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 09:15:31 pm »

Noobs never name weapons, it seems, while and "lord" will name weapons at will, pretty much.  IE, Axelords name axes whenever the hell they want.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 09:28:50 pm »

Noobs never name weapons, it seems, while and "lord" will name weapons at will, pretty much.  IE, Axelords name axes whenever the hell they want.

"'Ey Novice Urist,"
"Yar, Axelord Cerol?"
"Jus' got a new axe."
"Yer-bugger, envy ya!  Had this trainin' arxe fer three years.  Kinda fonda it, though."
"Yeh, but this fugger -- s'The Boulder of Stars."
"Total sweet, Cer!  Killed anythin'?"
"Jus' got it, Ur.  Toldja."
"..."
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.